Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'05 700efi won't idle/stalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 700efi won't idle/stalls

My 700efi just starting having this problem... It first happened after a long wide open run, I shut it off, started it back up and then was driving in low range up hill for a long period, it was about 85 that day and very humid. It just wouldn't run at lower rpm's, i had to keep the throttle at almost half... It cleared up after coasting downhill in high at 20-25 mph for a while. Acted almost like it was vapor locking or something. It was so hot under the gas tank i'd bet you could cook a hot dog! They should have never removed the side vents in '05! That was at about 1800 feet above sea level. After getting home I found my throttle body really dirty, so i cleaned it and also sprayed off the T-bap (baro/temp) sensor. After what I saw inside of my intake manifold i don't think I'll ruin a K&n filter anymore. It was just full of fine grit and slime! And I cleaned my filter often! My brother took it riding in SD at around 5000+ feet above sea level and it did the same for him! Seems okey at home now, around 1100 feet. Has anyone else had this problem? No trouble codes stored... But I still can't help but think possibly the sensor was damaged from the k&n filter oil...??? Anyone??? Thanks, Dan.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

What did you clean the sensor with? Should of used electrical cleaner of some sort in a spray can.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

These bikes have a CPS and that is typically used to tell the engine when ti inject fule and fire. (timing) If it going bad/failed or if it's miss aligned it can cause the problems your talking about. Take a peek. It's on the Same side of the engine as the T-stat.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Dan038..
Last year I ran a poker run and it was really dusty and dry that day......I also had a K&N air filter in at that time....after about the 30 mile mark my machine would hardly hold an idle.....my normal idle is right around 1150 but that day it had dropped to the 800's and wanted to stall unless I gave it throttle....Here was my diagnosis....I removed K&N and the airbox which gave me access to the throttle body....When I opened the butterfly a little I could see some glime buildup in the throttlebody......I used 3M throttle plate cleaner and a q-tip and cleaned the junk out of there.....Then put everything back together but replaced the K&N with my stock air filter and it ran like new again right at 1150rpm's.....From what I hear the K&N's have a problem with very dusty conditions......Some guys run the pre filter but I just put the stock filter back in the machine and it runs just fine......Hope this story helps ya....
John

Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

Good Info on the the TB sensors. Is it a TPS or a MAP sensor. I'll also agree tha tthe K&Ns don't filter the dirt they need to to keep the engine healthy. Folks that run K&Ns on Turbo charged motoros get dusted. The Turbo Turbines get worwn away by the dust.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

Does anyone know the corecct resistance of the cps sensor??? I'm guessing around 1200 ohms if it is like an automotive one.

Old 11-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Update on my stalling condition... I posted back in October also to see if anyone has had stator problems with their efi's. Well... I have finally found out what has been causing my stalling/idle problems the whole time. After riding a whole 7 miles last october, the engine started sputtering again, and wouldn't idle. After continuing on for a mile or so more at slow speeds the battery light started flashing. Shut it off to check things out and again found it very hot under the seat and gas tank area, and smelled very hot/burnt. Trailered it home and found the battery was being overcharged... checked it again before taking it to my dealer and now it wasn't charging at all. At the dealer we ohmed out the stator and found it shorted. Got absolutly NO help from polaris on this... was offered NOTHING. I had been having symptoms off and on since last November, but didn't ride it until this spring. Then only put on about 200 miles total this summer(been busy with my boys miniquad racing). Dealer offered to sell me a new stator at full list price of over $311.00. Didn't even mention the option of RMstator, Rickystator or etc.... Polaris simply told me "we are not going to help you at all on this one because the machine is almost 2 years old, and even when it started giving you troubles it was over a year old" Well I got the stator fixed locally, the wires connecting to the stator had vibrated and shorted togather... finally burning apart. He rewond one of the windings and reconnected all three wires to the stator for under $100.00. It is fixed now, and I am ALL DONE with polaris. I saved them money by fixing the tbap harness that rubbed through against the breather hose, resealed the rear storage compartment that leaked, replaced the soft rear suspension bolts that broke, and rewelded the exhaust pipe that cracked next to the defective weld my self. And went with out riding for a week while my front diff. was fixed because the awd stayed enguaged all the time. None of that bothered me... but being offered absolutly no help at all and an attitude from the guy at polaris with it does. Polaris has changed the part# for the stator on the new EFI twins... does that say something? Guess it was my problem, but it won't be anymore polaris. I have purchased 4 new polaris atv's from my local dealer in the last 2 1/2 years... that should mean something to Polaris. Well since it doesn't I Have put my 2005 sp700efi up for sale. I will buy a new machine in the spring and it won't be a Polaris!!!!! Arctic Cat and Can Am both offer a 2 or 3 year warranty I think that is included automatically, so that is what I will consider. I am just sorry polaris that you had to do R&d on your new models at my expense. Under 2000 miles and all those problems!!!!! Maybe I'll consider a honda as well... A friend has 3 of them, and the oldest has over 10,000 miles with nothing but maintence/tires needed!!!!!!!!

Old 11-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I miscounted... I have purchased 6 new Polaris ATV's since april of 2004 from our local dealer. We currently still own 3 of them. Traded or sold the others. Owner loyality only lasts so long Polaris!!!!! And Mine is gone! Sorry, I just had to vent. I should probably be sending this to polaris in letter, but it seems they are too busy to worry about customer retention.