Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 800 efi hard cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman 800 efi hard cold start

Ok first off, I come here alot to read the great info you guys put out. After searching for a problem ive encountered with no luck, Id thought id just ask. I have a 06 sportsman 800 efi that I love. Ive had no problems until the weather here has gotten below 60 degrees. I purchased the 800efi and traded my 700 carburated in due to hard cold starts. Ive heard nothing but good things about the efi sportsmans when it comes to cold temp's but mines worse than a carb! I have to crank for about a minute to get it to start. Then when I do get it started, it wants to die when I give it any gas at all. After I rev it in anger about 10 times, its fine. Runs great but will start hard once cold again. It worse the longer it sits, if it sits for a few days you will crank for half that time to get it started. I checked for codes and have none. I replaced the plugs, cleaned the air filter and no luck. I took it to the dealer and when I called them, they said they replaced the plugs and cleaned the air filter. Ive done that all ready! Yes this is an odd problem they replyed we have not encountered this problem ever with the efi's! Great looks like Im gonna be trading in for the nice camo unit they have on the show room floor! Anyone else hear of any hard EFI starting issues? Thanks guys!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sounds like you need your EFI flashed. seems very odd. my 05 800 would start within the first 3 cranks in sub 0 weather

Old 11-05-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Check the battery voltage while cranking just to rule out a weak battery, 10 volts or better cranking. Unplug the T-Bap sensor which is located in the intake boot between the air filter and the throttle body, see if it starts better with that unplugged. I'm guessing an incorrect sensor reading causing less fuel delivery than normal. Also check the throttle cable adjustment, freeplay should be less than 1/8", the etc may be interupting spark. Fuel pressure check, low pressure would cause hard starting. Do you hear the pump run when the key is turned on?

Old 11-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I hear the pump when I turn the key on. It runs fine after its ran about a minute, so that kind of got me away from fuel delivery (pump pressure). I wish I had some way to see data stream, is it possible to have a temp sensor reading wrong or a IAT sensor telling the ecm its 90 degrees outside instead of 50 degrees? Im trying to relate this to automotive, im not sure what all sensors the bosch system uses. But shouldnt the dealer have a way to see data stream? There has to be a problem somewhere. Thanks guys!

Old 11-05-2006, 03:09 AM
TTP
Range Rover

Certainly something is wrong.
Mine starts immediatley with no problems.
Today was -5C here in the morning and
with just a turn of the key she had started.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

I was thinking that possibly the ecm is seeing a higher than normal ambient or engine temp reading. The dealer should have a laptop to diagnos it but they have to know how to use it and interpret the info (not that they don't but?????) They should call Polaris tech support for help if needed. There is definitely something wrong so they need to get it corrected.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider

icer97,
What dealer did you take it to? I would be going back for round two.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like for sure that the ecm is getting the wrond info concerning he temp. dealer should be able to hook it up and dian. the sensor problem and replace it. mine always starts when its cold. its only 23 degrees f right now and it starts and idles fine.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys. I havent gave up on my dealer yet, they wanted to keep it till monday to try to start it first thing in the morning. He just told me they done everything I already had plugs, ect., but it started fine after it was warmed up. I told him it would, that and it was in their heated shop at night! I told him to leave it in their outdoor storage over the weekend cause I want it fixed before I drive an hour to get it. Ive always had good luck with their service so I hope they dont let me down. I was just looking fo suggestions to give them in case I call monday and they tell me that all EFI's start like this cold, or that they cant find the problem. Ill keep you guys updated, maybe something someone else here might encounter and not be under warranty like I am. I took it in the day my warranty was up, now thats close!