Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

$27 Sportsman Performance Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $27 Sportsman Performance Mod

I recently put the 800 air intake snorkel on my 700 efi Sportsman and was shocked at the performance gain. The size of my 700 snorkel was slightly bigger than a quarter. The 800 intake is HUGE in comparison. Just to make sure my sportsman wasn't just having a "good" day, I swapped them out just to see and the difference was night and day. I have since ordered the 800 Header kit from Breezy and can't wait to get it! ($140 complete with new heat shield, gaskets and hardware)

I was finally able to beat a friends Grizzly 660 from a dead stop on stretch of trail on which he has beaten me many many times - by several bike lengths!! All for $27... All Sportsman EFI riders with bikes smaller than 800 should do this mod.

I don't know if the efi adjusted itself for the increased airflow but it seems reasonable. If it adjusts for different altitudes, which relate to air density why would it not? Any of you super mechanics know for sure? Anyone have dyno numbers on this mod alone?

Happy Easter! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

sounds reasonable to me too - just check you plugs - they will tell you

Old 04-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

Do you mean the snorkel on the airbox lid?? That's good info right there

Old 04-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

Yes. It is the tube that attaches to the air box lid and runs up along the gas tank. You can even use the gasket from the old one. I did it one better. There was some plastic "splay" on the bottom of the snorkel that I removed and opened up more with a Dremil (sp) sanding drum. 800 owners should even consider checking this out. It comes off with 4 small screws.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

The 700 snorkle is small and round, as the 800 in larger and rectangle. I have swapped mine as well and dremelled my intake. The 800 stock size is 7/8" X 2 7/8" at the lid. You can go larger with a dremel and some smoothing techniques! Just so you all know, if you descide to do a serious snorkle, the stock 800 intake opening has an area equivalant to 1.79" round. The size closest to this is 2" tubing. Thought that I'd throw that out to anyone, thinking of snorkling and was considerering what size to use. Anything smaller and, you'll be starving the engine before you even start it!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

Well I ordered my 800 snorkel today. Hopefully my little 500 will breathe better.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Interesting, what about us 450rs? I noticed
you said smaller EFi's could do this, but I
am carburated. Thoughts?

R'

Trending Topics

Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

R the way that I look at it, the more air you can get in and out, the better. It's a lot harder for an engine to "suck" air in than it is to "blow" air out. So the easier you can make atmospheric pressure push air into the suction of the intake stroke the more efficiant it will be. The exhaust has an easier time expelling gas as it's under pressure leaving the cylinder, but when the intake is more efficiant it is also important for the exhaust to breathe as well to get the most power. That's why most people upgrade their intake and exhaust systems together. Hope this helps. Todd

Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

Although I am no expert I think the efi compensates for this extra air flow. With the carb version you may need to get into rejetting - a mystery I may never understand! The experts may chime in and let you know... All I know is with this one simple mod my quad is faster!

I was thinking you could just unscrew the air intake at the airbox lid and try it? You may want to watch the plugs for a lean condition (white) ???? Mine look fine after 50-60 miles...

Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yes this does help Todd, appreciate all the
good info. as always with you all in this
Polaris forum as to why I am soo addicted..,lol.

Okay it would see logical that this 800 snorkel
piece would fit my box since mine is the same as
the 500 and 700. As for possible carb adjustments
(rejetting the carb), man that is something else,
need some sharp pointers on that one.

BUT if I could just get away with upgrading to an
800 snorkel for my airbox, man I am all over
that.

R'

Quick Reply: $27 Sportsman Performance Mod