Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 scrambler clutching and keeping h2o out of clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 scrambler clutching and keeping h2o out of clutches?

am looking to improve the performance of my scrambler, i just want to play around with the clutching to get it running a little harder!!!! i'd perfer to use polaris oem parts due to the ease of getting them compared to ordering clutch kits......i done a search on here and seen what other guys might be using...

some guys are using polaris brown, and yellow, with 10-56 wieghts......hmm, i know my clutching when it comes to my skidoo summit, this scrammbler primary looks a little different, do i need a puller to get the clutch off?
any procedures i should know about tearing this apart?

i also have a big problem of water getting into the clutch cover and getting belt slippage, i s there a better way to snorkle this thing? even the smallest puddle gets water in there

thanks

mike

Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you should talk to "ftwflh". he has a modded scramble and would know good set ups i beleave. and yes you will need a clutch puller to get off the primary. however you could pull it apart by taking the bolts and center bolt out and replace the spring and weights.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting the cluhching the way you want it you need 2 things
1. a tach to see what your setup is doing
2.Know what you are wanting out of it
The engagment doesnt have to be as high as on 2strokes due to the fact that the 500 has tons of lowend torque
unlike the modded 2strokes that need to run in a powerband.
You need to keep the topend rpms under 6800.perferably under 6600 to stay on the safe side on the bottomend of the motor.
You also need to take in to concideration if you plan on a pipe and/or intake mods.
Here are my recomendations on a few set ups
1.Stock pipe/K&N airfilter-Dalton blk/white primary,stock weights,set the secondary spring to 2-2
(good low engament,fast excelleration,better backshift)
2.pipe/filter- Aaen green or HPD brown primary ,10-56 weights,Aaen blue secondary or HPD violet set at 2-2
(take off is harder hitting fast shiftout backshift is good.Wheelies very easy)
3.my trail set up-(this isnt for everyones liking)Polaris yellow primary,53gram weights,TEAM roller secondary with a lighter than recomended spring .
This gets my power mostly in the midrange with a fairly low engagment rpm and 6570 top rpm.This is with many other mods so it wont be the same on (close but not right on)other bikes.
To keep water out best thing is not hit it any faster than you need to.When you take the cover off use a new gasket and dont over tighten it.Check the rear seal to be sure it isnt hurt.
If yo plan on keeping a Polaris invest in a primary clutch puller.
Brad

Old 04-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Trailblazer

as far as the water problem. i also had that same thing happen with my 05. i almost sold it because of it. i tried changing the gasket and that didn't word. i think the water was coming in through the exhaust for the clutches. so i went to home depot and got some pvc pipe and made my own snorkel. i can't go through any deeper water but i can go through it as fast as i want now with out the belt getting wet. i also used a piece of shop vac hose and sorkeled the intake side as well just to make certain that the water wasn't coming in from there. i have a few pics in my gallery of both, and i thing the whole thing cost like 10.00 bucks. hope this helps
mike

Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Trailblazer

ok I know nothing about the springs and stuff but I what u mean about water I had the same problem it is easy and stupid to fix it is the housing intake witch is behind the housing out take get your self a shop vac hose from home depot it like 20 bucks a house clamp like 2 buck slid it over it the in take and tighten the hose clamp and pipe it up along da gas tank to up by the handle bars I did it cuz I had ever thing apart but u can also re pipe the out take using pvc what i used was 1 1/2 thread in to a 2 in put a lil black type on da 2 in part and it fit snugly in da hole and from there I used a 1 1/2 male thread in and then play around with deff elbows and stuff in tell I found what was best for me if u wont I can take pics and email them to u and I can try and give u a complete part list. I have had this on mine now for all most 2 months and no water and has not over heated yet I pulled the housing off and nothing wrong yet and nock on wood and I have gone throw half way up da housing flat out and nothing happened I also went those it be 4 I did the mod and I had to stop pull the plug and darn da housing of water and water for da belt to dry now right throw it with no problems

Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

to keep water from your pvt housing,buy a pool vacume hose,acouple of rubber reducer fittings from home depot,clamps,then cut the hose in half,use the two connector sides on the pvt and route the cut sidesthrough the frame under the front hoodthen loop the two hoses up dont forget to trim the plastic splash plate to fit the hoses through.loop the intake on the side of the gas tank between the tank and the plastic,it will get cool air as you will need it Ive had that setup on mine for 4 years ride it hard and no water,no problems with heat.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

got a ? what size of shop vac hose are you guys using, all i can find is 2 1/2"and 1 1/4"?

thanx

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Trailblazer

go to a swimming pool store and buy the vacume hose trimm it to size . pm me and ill send you some pics

Old 04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Go through the water slow.......if it starts to slip, kick it into neutral and let it dry itself out........I've(on my old and gone sport) never had even a snorkel on it, and didn't ever have any trouble with it.......and I was cranking some larger hp's too.