Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Outlaw 525 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw 525 Owners

2 strokes are clearly limited in potential. Due to harmonics and physical limitations of the metal the connecting rod is made of. There are no 2000hp 2 strokes. You are correct in your statement that a 2 stroke makes all its power way up high which is reflected in the Hp being higher than the tourque number. 4 stroke on the other hand is far more efficient therefore has a larger powerband at a lower rpm and thus makes power at a lower rpm. This is why if you hooked a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke and started them both at idle, the 4 stroke would quickly overtake the 2 stroke. Prime example. MotoGP used to be all 2 stroke 500's. In order for 4 strokes to compete well, they allowed 1000 cc 4 strokes. The 4 strokes quickly started overtaking the 2 strokes as the technology advanced. Now 2 strokes are almost extinct. It is no longer a 2:1 ratio. My friends modded YZ250 dirt bike that is almost 300 bored and stroked with many internal mods. Doesnt even stay with me from the line on a machine that is more than 100 pounds lighter than my quad. I weigh almost 200 and he weighs 145. 2 Strokes have a very specific application. 4 Strokes are far more versatile. And I wouldnt call my outlaw highly tuned either. Theres alot more power there to exploit, you have one, you know that.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: gablett

2 strokes are clearly limited in potential. Due to harmonics and physical limitations of the metal the connecting rod is made of. There are no 2000hp 2 strokes. You are correct in your statement that a 2 stroke makes all its power way up high which is reflected in the Hp being higher than the tourque number. 4 stroke on the other hand is far more efficient therefore has a larger powerband at a lower rpm and thus makes power at a lower rpm. This is why if you hooked a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke and started them both at idle, the 4 stroke would quickly overtake the 2 stroke. Prime example. MotoGP used to be all 2 stroke 500's. In order for 4 strokes to compete well, they allowed 1000 cc 4 strokes. The 4 strokes quickly started overtaking the 2 strokes as the technology advanced. Now 2 strokes are almost extinct. It is no longer a 2:1 ratio. My friends modded YZ250 dirt bike that is almost 300 bored and stroked with many internal mods. Doesnt even stay with me from the line on a machine that is more than 100 pounds lighter than my quad. I weigh almost 200 and he weighs 145. 2 Strokes have a very specific application. 4 Strokes are far more versatile. And I wouldnt call my outlaw highly tuned either. Theres alot more power there to exploit, you have one, you know that.</end quote></div>

Besides my previous questions and comments, would you mind breaking down the limitations of the 2 stroke connecting rod compared to the 4 stroke connecting rod? I want an answer here before we continue. Thanks bro.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Gablet -- please explain the connecting rod issue .

This differs from what my experiences have been .

Rick Ritter

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer

A 2 stroke piston is dual purpose. It compresses the charge and also compresses to fuel in the crank case. Due to this fact the connecting rod is constantly under strain, twice as often as in a 4 stroke. I race Nitro RC cars, and the guys who have 4 strokes rebuild thier engines about half as often as we have to with our 2 strokes. Obviously a connecting rod made of metal has limitations. Generally a 2 stroke turns more rpms per hp than a 4 stroke. In order to get more power the rpm's are usually raised, at least in nitro trucks. Which has its limitations because of the tensile strength of the connecting rod. 4 Strokes generally turn less rpm per hp. Thus you are limited by the strength of the connecting rod. But that is more of a side note to the loss of fuel through the ported exhaust. 2 Strokes dump lots of unused fuel through the exhaust pipe. Which lessens the charge being utilized. They also have oil in the gas which doesnt help the combustion process or the cleanliness of said burn. There is a reason 2 strokes are on their way out and 4 strokes continue to get more powerful and close the 2:1 gap. Not trying to create an arguement, just tired of the Banshee crew always talking and never showing. Ive beaten plenty of banshee's, some with thousands of dollars of work done to them when I was stock. I will only run 2 stroke nitro trucks, so its not like I dont think 2 strokes have thier niche. I just think thier time is about through in large bore high Hp applications.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Evasiveone,

I dunno if it's jut the way i ride or what, which is typically a gear high in the woods to keep the front end from jumping, but somehow even the small O-ring made my ride load up. And i'm a bit higher on the needle too i think 2nd or 3rd clip. but that just seems to be the nature of my ride, perhaps this will change when i finally get the K&N? not to mention if my FMF system ever gets off backorder all bets are off w/ jetting! lol. Gonna have to start from scratch again w/ jetting. Anyway, between you and me i think we got him squared away, at least somewhat, any updates ojcool? what did you do and how it worked?

p.s. I'll agree that this bike can be a pain to tune but the cool thing is that it responds to EVERYTHING you do the same way every time. I.E. after rejetting a few times you should figure out how to tell what it's doing just by riding it and what the corrective action should be. Eventually this gets much easier and the responsiveness to how i tune is something i can appreciate.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I quit ! (Cause I don't know where to start)

Can someone unlock this door for me ??

Old 08-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickRitter

I quit ! (Cause I don't know where to start)

Can someone unlock this door for me ??</end quote></div>

LMAO!

So-far this thread is awesome! It's like a bad train wreck, don't want to look, but just have to, just to see what happens...I might need to lock myself into a stall to get some perspecitve.

I found the JD Jet-Kit info useful...

Old 08-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Ok -- no senator and bathroom stall jokes ..

RickRitter

Old 08-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
see how you are!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickRitter

Ok -- no senator and bathroom stall jokes ..

RickRitter</end quote></div>

Ok, that was bad... Had to edit that one out...

Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Laffin -