Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Ranger Fires

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
so-
how'd that first law suit work out fer-ya?

just wondering... you take "exploding tire" cases?
re lawsuit ... went very well.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

details????

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Confidential ... Unfortunately.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd think if it was a safety issue and a closed case it would be open info, (except for any pay out) especially if it was proved polaris was negligent- I don't see any recalls on polaris products due to a fire hazard, with the millions of products they have sold...

Old 01-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

My cousin is a lawyer. Seems it's the lawyers that keep the payouts confidential. The end users take isn't what the payouts would have you believe.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Actually, it is the manufacturers / corporations who insist on confidentiality clauses in settlement agreements. This effectively locks up all the work product, discovery, and expert reports - as well as the value of the settlement - to prevent the general public and the government from accessing the information. They actually pay more just to have it confidential. This is an unfortunate reality. Ford did it for years until they were outed in a trial. Toyota, surprisingly, came clean very quickly with their recent products problems, but they were forced to very early with litigation. It goes on all the time. If Polaris, like most corporations, has a problem with a product, they will do just as Ford did in the Pinto cases - a cost benefit analysis - how many events can we expect; how much will it cost to recall the item and how will that recall adversely effect the company; and what is the "risk" (estimated litigation costs to silence consumers or pay verdicts in catastrophic cases). It is gambling, pure and simple - unfortunately, in some cases they are gambling with people's lives. In these instances, the civil justice system acts as the check / balance for corporate greed. Soooooo - you don't see the major recall, or press on certain problems because no one has forced it yet - it's that simple. But if the corporation with the problem product rolls the dice long enough, sooner or later their luck is going to run out or they will run into an injured party who just refuses to take a buy-off. That's the big risk ... it's not an if, it's a when. The Catholic Church played this game for centuries - buy-offs, threats, extortion - silencing little boys and parents until one day, someone said "no more".

Long winded response - hold your thought regarding recalls and millions of products sold ...

Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny you mentioned Ford I replaced a plastic intake manifold at a local shop on the only Ford product I've ever owned,a T-bird with a 4.6 v8 engine that cost me $800 parts and labor. Happened to see a class action lawsuit in a magazine about this problem around 6 months later and joined right in! Got my $800 reimbursed. But the replacement still cracked in the same place,right at the back! The replacement was half aluminum,half plastic,because most of them broke at the front on the alternator bracket! Ford is no different than any other manufacturer in trying their best to keep things quiet if they can. OPT