Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman upside down in water. what now?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sportsman upside down in water. what now?

That fancy slow down thingy in the front is the ADC and I definitely would not run kerosene in it. Check your fluids, if it looks like water got in em the drain and flush em out a couple of times. It should be ok if you do that. I would change your oil either way just for shi&s and giggles it never hurts to change your oil just to be safe. I would think running kerosene in the front differential could do damage to your ADC not sure but it just doesnt sound like the right thing to do!!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use kerosene! lol

Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

kerosene+spark=........................

Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer

The kerosene will clean your rig's innards well, I use it in my tractor whenever I take it diving (I realize there are some slight anatomical differences between the Farmall H and Polaris ATV) the big problem is if there is a potential leak it will become a leak. It may not be good for something as new as your ride either, my tractor is 55 years old I could probably put mayonaise in it and it still work. Definatle drain and refill everything to be safe though.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: atv gooroo

That fancy slow down thing in the ebs. That is made on to your clutch and should be fine. I forgot about the newer models being fuel injected and as far as the fuel tank goes, yes I would drain it because the vent tube is in the head light pod. I would however put kerosene in the front differential for these are hilliard cluthes and are very sensitive to dirt and water.(rust really quick) Just drain and fill with kerosene run for a bit drain then fill with oil run a bit and then drain and refill one more time. Got to pay to play. lol</end quote></div>

The fancy front-end slow down thing is ADC.

EDIT: I see Rowe already said that. Too bad I can't delete my post.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yea I can't keep up with the times. Everything has changed. I don't have ADC I have BRAKE. lol. I have taken my front end apart a few times to rebuild it and can tell you that there is nothing in there that will be hurt by kerosene. I have not taken apart one with the ADC so I don't know what I would be dealing with. I have read alot of post of people cleaning out the hilliard clutches with kerosene and I have done it, so I mentioned it. I was thinking that there is probably a right and a wrong way to upright the bike after roll over in water because if you follow the vent lines you will see that they loop over and point back down to the ground on the right hand side of the bike.(right side if sitting on) I figure that we should turn it back over by as not to let the water push itself up into the vents. Does this make sense?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for all the tips. i'll post an update when i get a chance to get her opened up and see whats going on. i noticed i bent my handel bars too. i think when they hit my shin as it was trying to drown me by pinning me under water. scary for a few sencods for sure! anyone have a good place to pick up a new set? are they just 7/8" bars?