Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris carb question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris carb question

I was just given a 2000 Magnum 325 that has been stored for a few years. I had to tear apart the starter, the starter relay and the starter engagement gears b/c they were all seized up. Now I got the motor spinning , I have spark and it actually ran for about 60 - 70 seconds then stalled. (I put new gas in) Gas is now pouring out of the drain line that attaches to the bottom of the carb float bowl and the only way to make it stop is by turning the fuel shut off valve to "off".

I'm assuming that something in the carb is gummed up and is causing this and plan on heading back out to the garage to take out the carb and tear it down next.

What specifically should I be looking for and/or doing next?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Gets his share of deer.

The needle and seat is most likely bad on it. If you pull the carb bowl off the bottom of the carb you will find a pin hooked to the float, this has a rubber tip that seals the gas from running in when the float is all the way up. Most likely need to replace this part. I would go through the whole carb and clean out all the jets and passagways with carb cleaner. Mainly the pilot jet, this is one of the smallest peices. just an idea.

Also if it has been sitting this long I would drain and replace all the fluids and change the engine oil/filter. Along with grease it up real good. Check the air filter while you are at it, mice like to make a home there if it has not been used.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your help, you were right on the money. The float was stuck. Runs like a champ now.

Now if I could only get it to stop as well. The brake lever has a very stiff/hard feel to it and the brakes don't seem to stop the wheeler that well. Here's my thoughts...drain, replace and bleed brake fluid and go over calipers and pads to make sure they are up to par. Is such a hard pul normal or should it be easier and stop better? I'm used to my raptor which stops on a dime with the slighest of pressure.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldnt be too hard but the brakes probably need to be flushes and refilled.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

-Check for any weak points or crimps in the lines. I had a Honda motorcycle that did the same thing, and it turned out to be a collapsed line to my front calipers.
-Check your brake lines for gunk or blockages. Disconnect the lines and blow air through with a compressor (have an old T-shirt at the end to catch the projectile fluid and gunk of course). When you re-fill, be sure to bleed properly.
-If problem still exists, check that the caliper pistons are free and replace if necessary.

Check the cheap stuff first! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I was pretty P.O.'ed 13 years ago when I jumped the gun and replaced the calipers on that Honda Motorcycle FIRST before checking the lines... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]