Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Just picked up a new Sportsman 550 XP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008 | 11:53 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Just picked up a new Sportsman 550 XP!

Another thought I had as I was putting my winch on....I think I read every single review on the internet and I read where people we're concerned about the front end pushing around corners. I would be willing to bet that once the winch and plow mount are on, the front end will have plenty of bite. Could have even been engineered this way....

Old 10-25-2008 | 04:36 PM
Range Rover

The winch and front brushguard do add some weight to the front, mine seems to bite pretty good into the turns, I am really not sure about those reviews. I read them myself as well, talking about almost hitting trees as they couldn't make the turn because it wants to go straight. Mine bites pretty good, I did have a few times where it did slide a little right before it turned, but the ground was a little slick and muddy, so I actually expected it. I really haven't rode it all that much since I installed the winch and bumpers, weather won't cooperate with me, but I agree with you that it should have at least a little more bite now. All we need to do is get out and ride instead of sitting in front of the computer!!!LOL!

Old 10-25-2008 | 04:39 PM
Range Rover

Oh yeah, cc-rider, we are all still waiting on those pics, and some more pics from rancher would be nice too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2008 | 09:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Alright fellas, got the winch, and plow mount on. Camera batteries are dead though so pics coming soon. The plow mount will serve as a nice protector for pushing through rough stuff and over logs. Like I mentioned, the fangs are not exactly made of grade 8 steel...I was worried about bending them, but not anymore.

I love this machine. Feels like your riding on a damn pillow! Will pull the front end up if you have the littlest of bumps to get you started. Perfectly happy with the power output of this 550. Low range will actually work really nice as a trail gear. Though I haven't tested it yet, I'd be willing to bet that this thing will get some really good gas mileage at moderate trail speeds in high range. The clutch shifts very nice. I also really like the tires so far. Haven't got in mud yet, but in dirt and fields and they bite really well. And the steering....I'll tell you what, I read everyone raving about how well this thing steers and I thought they were a little loose in the head. But the turning effort of this thing is simply awesome. If you ever get to see one in person....check out just how long the tie rods are on it and how far they have put the hubs into the wheels. I also hear absolutely no clunking noise in my powertrain which I'm really happy about.

One thing that seems to be wrong with mine is the brakes. It feels like they didn't bleed my brakes at all. I have to stand on the petal to get any action. Obviously a set-up issue so I can't really rate the brakes.

Anyway...I've rambled enough. Having fun!

Old 10-25-2008 | 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Edit- I noticed today as I pushed the XP a little harder she does push in the corners some. I REALLY think this is a tire problem. Hopefully I'll put some different tires on soon and be able to let y'all know.

Old 10-27-2008 | 12:29 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I've got some pics of the plow mount..but can't figure out how to post them...any advice?

Old 10-27-2008 | 02:38 PM
DCT
Banned

I'm jealous. I got to ride a new 850XP today, and it was awesome. However, much more machine than I need. I'm betting that I will like the 550XP even better.

Good luck with yours. Waiting to hear about your experiences with the machine.

Old 10-28-2008 | 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

host them on photobucket first them copy link on a reply here