Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

clutch springs or whole clutch kit??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch springs or whole clutch kit??

Just gotta phone call my 28's r in and i was wondering if i should change just the cluch springs or just break down and buy the whole clutch kit.....anyone???1996 sp500

Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you probably need a whole clutch kit considering the different tires also change your gearing. bigger tires will take away some bottom end torque.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say whole kit for 28s.

P.S. Let us know how well those tires fit. The fenders were a lot lower on that body style than on the newer ones. 26s would rub when when my fat a$$ landed a jump on one of my old 500s.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

depending on the bike size, but w/ 28" tires you will need a whole kit to offset the huge tires and extra weight. theres been dozens of post on clutch kits if you do a search you'll see them if you want info.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Try setting the secondary to a lighter setting before dropping the $$$$$ on a clutch kit.No matter what you are going to loose power with that big of tires

Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

On these p75 and p85 clutches, you can tune them by making your clutch weights lighter and geting a stronger spring, A clutch kit has diffrent ramp angles on the new weights, So basically you can lighten the weights and make up some lost power, All the clutch kits on the market claiming to be best and different are just coming up with different ramp angles and gizmo this and thats, If it were me I would go spend 40 dollars at polaris and get a stronger spring and lighter weights then see what you got, And from my experience with Clutching , The clutch Kits are great but sometimes we need less expensive, if you were to lighten the Clutch weights say 5 grams each it would make up some of your power Loss. RP

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I would not mess with the weights until You have a complete understanding on clutching.Because one change effects a lot of different things and you can get your RPMs up to a point of messing your motor up.
Like stated before try lightening the secondary setting this is what controls the power to the ground.By doing this you make the secondary thing it is pulling the same torque it was with the stock tires thus bringing the rpms of the motor down.No you can go with a Poalris white primariy spring and get you rpms back.Now if it doesnt pull like you want ADD weight until it does.Lighter weights will bring your rpms up and lose belt grip at lower rpms.I can go on and on with clutching varriables but on any clutch mod you NEED to have a tach a nd know the rpm range you need to be in.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Changing the spring in the back is just like changing the spring in the front, except you get 2 different results, Probally you should call Rick Ritter and tell Him what you desire from the bigger tires and he will tell you exaxtly what you need and more than likely you just need a new heavier spring, but with 28s from 25s you may need more help to regain what youve lost.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

That is a seat of the pants question. Personally I would go with the whole kit, knowing that someone has done the homework for me. Doc

Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i personally like the Dalton clutch set ups as they have tailored the kit for the actaul machine for the actual tire size and there is no guess work and waste of extra parts for differnt appilacations. check out thier site. imo.