Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think the belt on my XP might be going south...

I thought I smelled burning rubber while riding somewhat aggressively awhile back,but my neighbors are always burning stuff convinced myself it was that. I was out playing a little today and smelled tell tale burning rubber again. No doubt it is coming from the belt. Seems like low end WOT performance is down some as well. Quite a bit of belt dust in the housing exhaust also. No other symptoms.
I understand the system and feel I use techniques to prolong belt life...hope I am wrong about the belt.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

are you using low range for when your puttin around?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yes...I use low range 90% of the time. I don't ease into belt engagement(ie I don't slip it to get going) ect...I am easy on the belt as you can be IMO.
The only thing I do that is rough on the belt is creep along on technicalt trails,in low of course. And occasionally I do some drag passes across the field...
I'm wondering if the burning smell is a sure sign it is hurt? I would think so but I've never had one just smell. No smoke,no vibe,just smells and seem a little down on acceleration out if the hole.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
DCT
Banned

Based upon your mechanical know how, riding experience, and knowledge of these ATV's... I'm betting it's an issue. If you are having problems, I bet it won't be long before we here of others, unless it's an isolated issue.

Keep up posted.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Here I have 2 theorys.But first is this belt the same one they use in every polaris cvt atv?If it is it could be polaris did'nt take into account the torque and horsepower.The new motor could be putting more stress on the belt then your normal run of the mill polaris engine.They may need to design a new cutch system or belt to handle the stress of 70 horsepower.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:24 PM
DCT
Banned

I think the clutch system is a new design... but you could be right... too many ponies for the belt.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I just went a pulled the clutch cover drain plug to see what was in the bottom of the housing. Obviously it is limited visibility but I didn't see alot of dust...what I did see was several fibers...
Looks like I need to pull the cover. I'm not doing that until I have a new belt though. It still rides fine.
I e-mailed my dealer. Might be after the holidays before I hear from him. It will probably be a cold day in you know where before Polaris warranties a belt. I more want his reassurance that I damaged the belt...he has more Polaris experience in his pinkie than I have in my whole body,lol.

I have a gut feeling It isn't good, but want more before I take it apart.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

do you do alot of hauling?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have towed 2 times. Once a 1500# camper for about 100 feet and another time a trailer at about 1000 lbs for about 1/4 mile. No detectable belt slip either time and no smell.
Maybe it's fine and I'm just paranoid. I know I'm smelling it but maybe it's just the design of the hoiusing exhuast being different is why I've not smelled it on other machines unless the belt was smoking.

BTW-If it is damaged I bet it is isolated,although I know Rath racing broke a belt during an endurance race recently. But that is WAY more abuse than mine has ever seen. Also I know there are guys out there beating the snot out of the 850's already. And I have heard of nothing.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Keep us informed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Think the belt on my XP might be going south...