Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '09 Sportsman XP tires -- SNOW Report

I haven't gotten hit really bad for a long time, but after the few serious strorms we did have it warmed up. Flash flood warnings all over the place when it melted. If you don't like the weather around here, just wait 5 minutes. It'll change. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can just picture all the other guys with 850's and a stack of brand new Terribleothons sitting in their garages taking up space. If it was free I would send them back to Carlilse with a note. It wouldn't have to say much " Are you serious" would probably be enough, especially when the stock pile was in their warehouse.
Take good care,
Dave

Old 01-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 600Grizzly

I can just picture all the other guys with 850's and a stack of brand new Terribleothons sitting in their garages taking up space. If it was free I would send them back to Carlilse with a note. It wouldn't have to say much " Are you serious" would probably be enough, especially when the stock pile was in their warehouse.

Take good care,

Dave</end quote></div>

Well in all honesty...might have to send that message to Polaris too! LOL! Especially since Polaris could have requested a more aggressive tire be designed...or heck just ask that the 489 be made in the current XP size.

Just my .02 here...

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good point Biz. Polaris wanted those tires. I always thought 489s were very good tires but the Goodyear Tracker Ps they used to put on Sportsmans were even better. More like a bias version of a PXT than a Terriblethon. http://www.goodyearatv.com/cfm...tire.cfm?mymodelid=122

Old 05-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by DCT
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

They are close to the ACTs,but if you believe each star represents 2 plys the PXTs are 6 ply..not sure I believe they are 6 ply. Maybe 6 real thin plys,lol.

In any case they are leaps and bounds better than the Terriblethons.

I looked at Carlisle's stuff awhile back for the Terribles and found nothing as well...

Maybe they are left overs they made for Suzuki,look closely at the tread design,lol</end quote></div>

Yep, there was a "debate" here a while back on the 3* thingy. LOL I'm staying clear of that one, and just say this... my 489's are 3* rated too. If that is suppose to mean 6 ply, then it's the flimsiest 6 ply I've ever seen.

As far as I'm concerned a "6 Ply rating" says... 6 Ply rating. LOL

Thank you for your interest in Carlisle Tire & Wheel. Not exactly, the star rating actually only addresses the PSI of the tire. Example would be a 2 star tire as a max PSI of 4 lbs. Where a 3 star tire has a max PSI of 7. What this actually does is allow more face of the tire to make contact with the surface. When inflating to higher PSI’s this causes the tire to stand tall and narrow, thereby losing the contact with the surface.

The AT489’s range from 4 ply to 6 ply.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Has anyone tried tires for say a Jeep or smaller SUV with some good traction on an XP yet? With the 14" rims there should be some options that might hook up good but last much longer. I'd just be guessing, but 95% of the time, I don't need really aggressive traction. Also the flatter surface might make cornering better.