Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

POLARIS 08 EFI 500 PROBLEMS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLARIS 08 EFI 500 PROBLEMS!

First off: I'd like to thank you guys again for all the help I received last year when I purchased my 08 POLARIS 500 SPORTSMAN EFI regarding installing my Gorilla Winch. With that said I've got problems. There are only 19 hrs. on the machine, as it was used to haul my old butt out to the huntin' shack this past November. WHAT A JOY!!!!! Now,,,, I also used it to plow snow this winter off my driveway. I bought a new 48" MOOSE plow. That's why I needed the winch.
The downside is POLARIS only gives you a 6 month Warranty. After the 08 deer-hunting season in Wisconsin we brought the ATV back home and waited for the SNOW! I think I was very careful using the ATV and mostly ran it in LOW gear, which is recommended. It seemed to get a little warm when plowing because the electric fan would kick-in. WE GOT A LOT OF SNOW THIS YEAR! After awhile the ATV starting acting up. When I would raise the plow before backing up it would die. Albeit, it would start right back up. It starting doing it more often and now when I go to start it STARTS and DIES! If I re-start it will start right back up but will die. (I apologize if I'm rambling). But I think it may be useful info. IF I give it throttle it WILL keep running. As soon as I let off the throttle it will slow down and die. Sometimes it will pop. I went and did the diagnostics with the BLINK CODES and it starts at 12 and ends with 61. Nothing in between. Also when I turn the key to ON the CHECK ENGINE icon is visible.

I went through the manual and it says maybe bad fuel, low battery, etc. I don't know? Two other guys that live in the area told me it could be the BRAIN BOX. All the snow is gone and the ATV is just sitting in the garage. One guy said maybe a spark plug problem. THE BAD THING: MY WIFE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CANCER AND WE COULDN'T AFFORD THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. WHICH ALSO IS THE CASE WITH MY FORD F-150. I think it was @ $1,500.00 for two years for the ATV and $2,700 for the truck. They want $95.00 an hour to look at it. GEEEEEZ!

ANY HELP WILL BEE APPRECIATED. THIS THING IS BRAND NEW!!!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Have you ever adjusted the throttle cable? After awhile this cable stretches and needs to have the slack taken up or the Quad will not idle. The adjustment is on the cable under the black rubber boot, you adjust it by turning the wheel which makes the wire housing longer taking up the slack. The manual has some info on it.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a video about it.
video

Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

How old is the gas in it? Gas these day's doesnt stay good very long, starts turning bad in a couple of months, can you ride it a way's to use the old gas and put fresh in it? I also use Sea- foam in my gas when not using them regularly.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks RENO. Yes I read about that. If I pull on the cable it slow -up or will speed-up. When I pushed the boot up the all I seen was a hexed ferral. Like a speedo cable. The manual really doen't decribe it that well.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer

The gas is @ month old. Even if I give it throttle to keep it running it just doen't sound right. I recall it use to be really quiet. HMMM????

Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

You think its louder than it used to be? Check the exhaust donut where it comes out of the head , if its loose or leaking they will not run right.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Trailblazer

My daughter has HI SPEED internet so I'm going there to download this. Also if I turn the boot on the cable it WILL speed-up and stay running. Plus, if this makes sense, the exhaust smells. I'll get back! THANKS!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

It's a fine adjustment, you want to take the slack out without raising the idle. There should be very little play with the thumb throttle, like 1/16 of an inch.
Slide the boot out of the way to expose the adjustment wheel, it looks and works the same way as a bicycle brake cable. As you turn the threaded cable it tightens the cable inside taking up the slack. You don't want to raise the idle, just keep it running. Once you have it idleing fine, tighten the wheel against the nut to keep your setting and slide the boot back over the adjuster.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Yes IT IS LOUDER! Thanks! Maybe we are on to something.

Quick Reply: POLARIS 08 EFI 500 PROBLEMS!