Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 700 timing

I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 twin and when I crank it, it acts as if the battery is low or the starter is bad. I have replaced both and it still acts as if the timing is too far advanced. It will crank hard a couple of revolutions then start and run fine. It has been like this since it was new. I had it back to the dealer 2 times and they said no problem. I am pretty sure it is an ignition problem but I do not know how to adjust the timing or what it should be set at. Any help will be appreciated. This is driving me crazy.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bomande
I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 twin and when I crank it, it acts as if the battery is low or the starter is bad. I have replaced both and it still acts as if the timing is too far advanced. It will crank hard a couple of revolutions then start and run fine. It has been like this since it was new. I had it back to the dealer 2 times and they said no problem. I am pretty sure it is an ignition problem but I do not know how to adjust the timing or what it should be set at. Any help will be appreciated. This is driving me crazy.
Since its an early 700 (02-04 models) MIGHT be the beginning of the Ducati coil pack(cdi/coil combo) starting to get weak OR the stator itself? Check some of the other posts on this subject. I've replace several coil packs when they have lost spark,AND one stator assy which supercedes to a new Japanese system including flywheel,stator,cdi and coil! NOT trying to alarm you,but its a known problem to Polaris!