Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Trailer for XP's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009 | 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

Ruggo, you should have the quads loaded with the XP's in the front and smaller two in the back. You need to have 55% of you total weight in front of the midway point of the trailer. This has been my way of thinking for many years be it single or tandam. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-19-2009 | 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Hotdogmb
Ruggo, you should have the quads loaded with the XP's in the front and smaller two in the back. You need to have 55% of you total weight in front of the midway point of the trailer. This has been my way of thinking for many years be it single or tandam. Just my 2 cents.
HotDog you may very well be correct. Not sure on the physics of why but I do not doubt what you say. I wonder how it affects it when being towed one way vs the other.

Old 06-19-2009 | 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Ruggo
HotDog you may very well be correct. Not sure on the physics of why but I do not doubt what you say. I wonder how it affects it when being towed one way vs the other.
If you have more weight behind the mid way point, your trailer will tend to sway back and forth, more so with a single axle. It takes the weight off of the hitch, and sometimes lifts the back of the tow unit up, making for a very unstable towing experiance. Same thing if your trailer is not as level as possible. If the trailer is high in the front, air can get under it and cause it to sway, not unlike when air gets under a Sprint Cup car. If the trailer is too low in the front, you will fell a pushing or back and forth movement on the tow unit. This not only is a pain, but is hard on the driveline of the tow unit. Best thing to do is load your trailer as per normal and measure to the top of the coupler, now measure your tow unit to figure out the lift or drop needed. There are many different lift/drop recievers out there right now to make your towing a happy one. JMO

Old 06-19-2009 | 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

That all makes sense HotDog! I have heard some of that before. Not sure how much difference it will make with my pickup where the truck is fairly heavy with a long wheel base and the trailer itself has a fairly large spread meaning the space between the trailer axles seems to be large.