Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Carb adjustment Question???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Carb adjustment Question???

QUESTION??????????

Bought a non-running 1998 Polaris Xpress 300, did my own trouble shooting and found that it had piston damage after running through water at high speed. Thinking water got go in there. Anyways, I am in the process of rebuilding the motor (boring) and have not ran the atv yet. WHen I got it and rebuilt the carb I saw that the air adjust screw was set at 1.5 turns out (typical setting) and the throttle stop screw was set at 3.25 turns out.
When I tore apart the motor I saw that the piston had dark chocolate colored residue built up caked under the underside of the piston, indicating to lean of a gas/air mixture.
Even though I listed what screw settigs were at when I bought the atv damaged, the carb was cleaned out by a mechanic in the process of trouble shooting why the atv wouldn't start when the origional owners had it, so I don't know if that is the setting the origional owner had them set at or if it was what the mechanic reset them at.

Was wondering if the is a standard setting for those two adjustments, even though I know I might have to set mine different?????????

THANK YOU!!!

KELLY

Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any input would be GREAT!!!
THANKS

Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if the piston has alot of carb built up ,its not been running lean. what was the damage to the piston/cylinder? that sounds like the correct setting for the fuel mixture and the idle speed can be adjusted when its up and running but you can start there. make sure the slide is all the way down when you reinstall it back into the carb and the idle screw isnt holding it up from being scewed in to much or it will be reving the engine when you start it. could be the oil pump is set incorrectly as well giving to much oil making alot of carbon as well. just a thought. imo