Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 XP or 800 sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all you guys, I think I've got the Mrs. on the ropes. One my riding buddys deliberately made mention about my sportsman has seen better days and it's time for a new one and what great deals I can get right now.in front of her.That does'nt sound like a set-up does it? (After 13years of marriage I finally know how to play my wife)(I'm so Eeevil) I could see pitty in her eyes and then came the sigh. That can only mean she's about to break and give in. (HE. HE. HE.) Maybe I'll be able to go with the 850 after all. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Rule #1 Never give away your plot to fool the wife on a public internet forum
Rule #2 Please read Rule #1.

In all seriousiness, I think choosing one of the other may also depend on what kind of riding you do or GONNA do. My point is I could of bought a SP500 with lots of goodies for the price of my SP800. But the attraction was I wanted a significant power gain and thrust to carry my weight and the extra ponies to push the bigger MUD tires.

Do I feel differently now?

Hmmm, I don't have any buyer's remorse here, I really do like my 800 but I think some of the disadvantages are there is alot and I mean alot of more throttle. I think it is a disadvantage in cases on steeper and rutted hill climbs. When you put the throttle down the 800 puts more lift in the front with more bottom end in the rear. Some may debate here I didn't really want to hear that but when you look its true. The 800 has a tendacy to lift a bit up front so its a touchy feelly skill you have to learn. Again I am only talking about the power adv. on the steep and rutted hill climbs and a little more dry weight.

But that is my only negative on the power end! In all other areas I really like it and its also something of personal preference. Since I never ridden either one, I can't claim any adv. of one XP over another. Maybe see if the dealer will let you try both out?

Anyways just to add another perspective!

Regards,

R'

Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Rule #1 Never give away your plot to fool the wife on a public internet forum
Rule #2 Please read Rule #1.

, I really do like my 800 but I think some of the disadvantages are there is alot and I mean alot of more throttle. I think it is a disadvantage in cases on steeper and rutted hill climbs. When you put the throttle down the 800 puts more lift in the front with more bottom end in the rear. Some may debate here I didn't really want to hear that but when you look its true. The 800 has a tendacy to lift a bit up front so its a touchy feelly skill you have to learn.
Good points to think about...but even though the 850 is front light it still keeps the front end down much better than the 800 during hill climbs IMO due to its lower center of gravity..I have climbed hills on the 850 that I tried to climb on my 800 and could not because of the front trying to come up on the 800. Also the low end power on the 850 is very controllable. I have yet to find myself wishing I had less power,or the old style Sportsman in any situation.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I didn't do as much utility work as I do with my SP800 I'd have regretted not getting an XP. Best of luck getting the wife to cave! That's why I'm happily divorced. My ex asked me why I just picked up a set of tracks. Told her "cuz I can". If I could find a woman that let me have a few toys, some time to use them, and liked to ride now and then(if not every time) I'd marry her in a heartbeat!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Wow! you guys have helped me really make some desicions here. I'm thinking the xp is the way to go on this situation. As this ride will be primarily for the trails and play. I got another that can serve as a pack mule. I talked to the Mrs. about the new purchase and the final word was if I'm willing to wait till spring when the cummins is paid off I can get whatever my heart desires! (Of course I'm sure there will be some kind of catch to the deal)I'm a patient man if it means getting exactly what I want. So I guess I'll be riding the old bike just a little bit longer.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 PM

Now that I'm thinking about the deal I've struck with the wife about waiting till spring. Did I just get counterplayed? If so I never saw it coming. LOL.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

HO, its a good relief to know that I have some confirmation out there on the hill issue with the SP800. Some others dispute that but you hit the nail on the head. Its the center of gravity that is the breaker. I am glad to know the new XP's improved that. Also, and some may NOT think this is a factor but maybe if I had the 14" wide tires Vs. the 12" my stance would be wider thus little more stable on hill climbs. IMO

Cheers,

R'

Old 09-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

The added stability of the Sportsman XP's may also come from having a wheelbase that's 3" longer, at 53". The throttle is very controllable on the 850 at the lower end. Lots of throw in that little lever.

Every little bit helps, I guess!!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:57 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The dealer tell's me that the 550 is every bit as fast as the 800 and the power to the ground ratio is very close.
Your dealer is on crack. LOL

Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer

I am also trying to decide between these two machines. As most of the discussion here is for trail riding I am wondering why the sportsman is a better for utility work? I will be doing equal amount of work as play. For those of you that use the 550xp for utility work do you have any compaints? Thanks, Troy

Sorry about bumping old thread.

Quick Reply: 550 XP or 800 sportsman?