Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 XP or 800 sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradysdad
I just went through this decision. I already own an 09 Sporty 500HO EFI and was looking for a second machine. My local dealer had a 2011 800 for $6499 or a 2011 550XP for $6199. I ended up going with the 550 due to the front suspension, transversely mounted engine (more footwell room), and overall design. We do mostly trail and lake/ice riding and the 800 was overkill in my opinion.

The other thing I thought about was resale, but the newer XP models seem to hold their value as well as the big bore machines. I took the $300 savings and purchased some accessories.

so how does your 550 compare to ur 500efi?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by sportszillasheex
so how does your 550 compare to ur 500efi?
I'll let you know. I pick up the 550 this afternoon. The 500 is great. More than enough power for our type of trail and snow riding, great size, etc.... No regrets with that initial purchase and I doubt there will be with the 550 either.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
hell-don't apologize for bumping an old thread! Wish more people would search the forum before posting questions!

A friend I ride with has a new 550xp- I've ridden it many times.... I'm afraid I'll have to keep the rest of my comments to myself........

-
I guess you weren't impressed?

Old 01-31-2011, 06:40 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tboysen00
I guess you weren't impressed?

well, I really wasn't if I'm going to be honest, I've ridden the 550xp many times- IMO, felt sluggish and under powered for its size- it felt too "big", it had some pop of the line but I felt the pull was weak through the mid range & top end- It was comfortable on the legs & back (no more then my outty or the new grizzly's) but felt a little lazy around corners. But then again, I'm used to riding a can-am outlander 800 which pulls like the nasa shuttle from bottom to top, so keep that in mind.

I can't stand it when people compare their atv to another atv, or slam another model that they have never even owned or rode (polaris or not)

I've owned over 13 bigbore 4x4 atv's 2005 & newer, not including the dozens of sport quads and dirtbikes over the past 25 years. I'm more then capable of giving an unbiased "opinion" on atv's that I have ridden. I don't dislike polaris (I loved my sp800 -except for a few small issues) But when people say their 550xp has as much power as an outty 800 (it's been implied) and pulls wheelies just as easy- I have to laugh, because I know they've never ridden an outty 800 or any other big bore atv for that matter. Like TLC said- there's no magic there.

if I had to compare an outlander to a sportsman / xp, I'd say it's like comparing a lincoln to a corvette- both are nice, but both are totally different in every fashion.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have ridden both the 850 and the 550 and to be honest there is no real comparison between the two of those atv's either for whatever the reason the 850 is much smoother and as far As power goes from what I have seen on you tube the 800 outlander isn't that much faster at all than the 850 I do agree that the 550 is not all that but your opinion of the xp should be based on the big boy not the little brother

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by awsume800efi
I have ridden both the 850 and the 550 and to be honest there is no real comparison between the two of those atv's either for whatever the reason the 850 is much smoother and as far As power goes from what I have seen on you tube the 800 outlander isn't that much faster at all than the 850 I do agree that the 550 is not all that but your opinion of the xp should be based on the big boy not the little brother
I'd agree that the 800 outty & 850 xp are near equal in power (think the 850 xp might have 1-2 hp more) I was referring to the comment that the 550 has similar power to the outty 800... I really can't hold an opinion on the 850xp other then I like the way they look- I've never been on one. I'd might consider owning... maybe

Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bradysdad
I'll let you know. I pick up the 550 this afternoon. The 500 is great. More than enough power for our type of trail and snow riding, great size, etc.... No regrets with that initial purchase and I doubt there will be with the 550 either.

so how is it?

Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by beergut
well, I really wasn't if I'm going to be honest, I've ridden the 550xp many times- IMO, felt sluggish and under powered for its size- it felt too "big", it had some pop of the line but I felt the pull was weak through the mid range & top end- It was comfortable on the legs & back (no more then my outty or the new grizzly's) but felt a little lazy around corners. But then again, I'm used to riding a can-am outlander 800 which pulls like the nasa shuttle from bottom to top, so keep that in mind.

I can't stand it when people compare their atv to another atv, or slam another model that they have never even owned or rode (polaris or not)

I've owned over 13 bigbore 4x4 atv's 2005 & newer, not including the dozens of sport quads and dirtbikes over the past 25 years. I'm more then capable of giving an unbiased "opinion" on atv's that I have ridden. I don't dislike polaris (I loved my sp800 -except for a few small issues) But when people say their 550xp has as much power as an outty 800 (it's been implied) and pulls wheelies just as easy- I have to laugh, because I know they've never ridden an outty 800 or any other big bore atv for that matter. Like TLC said- there's no magic there.

if I had to compare an outlander to a sportsman / xp, I'd say it's like comparing a lincoln to a corvette- both are nice, but both are totally different in every fashion.
cool. Thanks for the info. Since you have a sportsman 800 and have ridden teh 550xp many times you would suggest the 800 sportsman then? I cant afford an outlander. haha

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by tboysen00
cool. Thanks for the info. Since you have a sportsman 800 and have ridden teh 550xp many times you would suggest the 800 sportsman then? I cant afford an outlander. haha
I really liked my 800- my biggest complaint was the drivetrain clatter, drove me crazy even though it was normal I could not get used to it. I would personally take a newer sp800 over the 550xp, but would take the 850xp over both of'em.

I know what you mean about the can-am $$$, I keep selling my atv's for more then I buy them for and worked my way up to the outlander- damn things are like a drug- spend a few days on one and it gets in your blood! They have their problems also tho- I can't afford a new one either, maybe some day....

As far as what you should buy... I'm a power junkie, I love the big bores and the ability of tapping into gobbs of hp when I want it- my outty satisfies that craving very well. I don't want to have "just enough" power... I want to have more
I guess you should buy an atv that will fit your style of riding- or the biggest one your budget will allow When it comes down to it, any set of wheels that gets you on the trails and back home is perfect, be it a polaris, suzuki, honda, yamaha, kawasaki, can-am or Arctic Cat- they all make quality atv's

Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

I went from a 07 660 Griz to 10 800 sp, I agree the drive line noise takes some getting use to. Before I went for a test ride, the dealer asked what I presently had, when I said a Griz, he almost tripped over himself to make sure I knew the SP would make more drive line noise and that was normal.

I am very happy (only 20 hrs so far) with my 800. It is a softer suspension, but when you apply the thumb pressure it is a nice feeling. Mainly pushed snow so far with a little trail riding.

Quick Reply: 550 XP or 800 sportsman?