Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 XP or 800 sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer tell's me that the 550 is every bit as fast as the 800 and the power to the ground ratio is very close
The XP 550 is a single cylinder rated at 40 hp the 800 is a TWIN cylinder rated at 50hp let alone the torque differences.

How can he think there going to be the same in power? It cost $1200 for a stage 5 kit that would not gain 10hp for a fuji single.

Our Polaris/Suzuki dealer also over prices the XP550,he also sells the Suzuki 750 KQ for only $200 more than the XP550,and no the XP550 does not have nearly the power of the 750KQ either.

The 550 is a Fuji Sohc motor with a 50cc, 4hp advantage over the old 500 Fuji's,there nothing high tech or magical about it,it not going out there to beat up big bores.

XP550/850 ride review 2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 & 550 Review

. Where we had been lucky to coax more than 50 miles per hour out of the 550 when we first started, we had the ATV cruising at 55 by midday. Eventually we could push close to 60 out of it on long straight sections. The 850 was easily 10 miles per hour faster and could run full throttle for as long as you dared. But, be warned the front end gets a bit light and big bumps make the vehicle a little nervous at those speeds.
Be the day a SP700 let alone a SP800 would struggle at beyond MPH and cruise there all day,

Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by tboysen00
I am also trying to decide between these two machines. As most of the discussion here is for trail riding I am wondering why the sportsman is a better for utility work? I will be doing equal amount of work as play. For those of you that use the 550xp for utility work do you have any compaints? Thanks, Troy

Sorry about bumping old thread.
Any ATV with 4wd and a low range can work as well as the next, IRS has a disadvantage over SRA if towing heavier trailers is your thing. SRA do not carry the trailer tongue weight on there rear suspension like IRS ATVs do.

Even a 400cc ATV in low range will dig up 4 ruts before it runs out of pulling power.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

For those of you that use the 550xp for utility work do you have any compaints? Thanks, Troy
No serious complaints yet. It did run quite hot during initial break in which seems to be something they all do. I use mine for trail riding and lots of work. I use to to plow snow, haul firewood, skid logs, haul tools, haul feed, lots of pulling of trailers just about anything you can think of around the farm.

My only minor complaint would be that I wish the shocks had a bit more range. The soft setting is good but I wish the hard setting was a little harder on the front to better deal with extra plow weight.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Holy crap! Someone dug this post out of the archives. It was well over a year and a half ago when I started this post. I ended up with neither of the two I was debating on getting. Instead I have my 07 stealth sp-500 Deluxe LE. with winch and plow which I found in a guy's garage who was so desperately strapped for cash that I nearly felt bad giving him just the asking price. I did say nearly felt bad, (but not bad enough.) LOL

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Holy crap! Someone dug this post out of the archives. It was well over a year and a half ago when I started this post. I ended up with neither of the two I was debating on getting. Instead I have my 07 stealth sp-500 Deluxe LE. with winch and plow which I found in a guy's garage who was so desperately strapped for cash that I nearly felt bad giving him just the asking price. I did say nearly felt bad, (but not bad enough.) LOL
Yeah that was me. I did a search and didnt look at the dates of the orignal post. But some good information in this thread. Now I just have to find a slightly used but not abused 550 xp.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I can tell you that we have atv pulls here every summer and the stock 550 xp beat everything exept the 850, beat grizzley's , king quads artic cats, even 7- 800 polaris

Old 01-29-2011, 11:56 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also trying to decide between these two machines. As most of the discussion here is for trail riding I am wondering why the sportsman is a better for utility work? I will be doing equal amount of work as play. For those of you that use the 550xp for utility work do you have any compaints? Thanks, Troy

Sorry about bumping old thread.
hell-don't apologize for bumping an old thread! Wish more people would search the forum before posting questions!

A friend I ride with has a new 550xp- I've ridden it many times.... I'm afraid I'll have to keep the rest of my comments to myself........

-

Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
I can tell you that we have atv pulls here every summer and the stock 550 xp beat everything exept the 850, beat grizzley's , king quads artic cats, even 7- 800 polaris
Once a ATV has low range and true AWD,how can one pull harder than the other, its up to who has the best tires or most weight.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:24 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Once a ATV has low range and true AWD,how can one pull harder than the other, its up to who has the best tires or most weight.
I'd have to agree- I would think it's all on the tire choice and gear ratios- no atv is better at pulling then the other if your tires won't hook up... and any big bore atv is capable of pulling once all 4 tires are hooking up.

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
I don't see why a 550xp would have more pulling power then any other big bore atv - it certainly doesn't have the most hp or torque. I'd look at the hardware and rider- there's no reason why a 550xp should be able to outpull a KQ750 or a Grizz 700...

Old 01-30-2011, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just went through this decision. I already own an 09 Sporty 500HO EFI and was looking for a second machine. My local dealer had a 2011 800 for $6499 or a 2011 550XP for $6199. I ended up going with the 550 due to the front suspension, transversely mounted engine (more footwell room), and overall design. We do mostly trail and lake/ice riding and the 800 was overkill in my opinion.

The other thing I thought about was resale, but the newer XP models seem to hold their value as well as the big bore machines. I took the $300 savings and purchased some accessories.

Quick Reply: 550 XP or 800 sportsman?