Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 XP or 800 sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 XP or 800 sportsman?

OK guys, I was just looking at some new rides and cant decide. I ride in all sorts of terrain and this one will be more a toy more than a work horse. The 800 and 550 xp are within $200 of each other after rebates and what-not. So what are the pro's and cons between the two. The dealer tell's me that the 550 is every bit as fast as the 800 and the power to the ground ratio is very close. So whats the skinny on these two?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

40 HP compared to ~55 HP on the 800. Not even close.

The 800 is a tad more of a work machine than the 550. The XP is definitely the better trail machine.

The low range in the previous sportsmans is the biggest downfall, IMO, besides the old struts. The XP suspension is superior. The low range on the XP is great for crawling through woods trails at lower speeds. I'm a firm believer in using low range under 30 mph. Most, if not all, utility atv's are geared way too low, except the XP. I don't see any way that the 550 is comparable power wise to the 800.

Best advise......Read the forums, and read the debates of actual owners. The dealers usually know very little about what they are selling. The 800 will sell all day long at a good price. They want to move the XP's to bring in the 2010's.

I would spend the extra $1,000 or so and get the 850 XP.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info. And yes I'd love to spend an extra $1500 and get the 850 but the Misses has put her foot down! $6500 give or take. If times were better she would'nt even flintch at $9000. I convinced her that now is the best deals I'll probably come across for a long time. Back on track now, How does the xp handle compared to the sportsman on the trails,reliability?,power to weight ratio? Acceleration? And overall comfort for the rider. I know the xp is relatively new to the market and some questions might not have an answer yet, but I'm trying to get as much input as I can before I sign the dotted line.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

I can't speak for the 550, just the 500, 800, and 850. The handling of the XP is leaps and bounds better than the previous sportsmans....The previous sportsman outdid the competition easily in comfort, and the XP is just a tad more plush. IMO, the A arms suspension up front is a big difference for handling/agility.

You will get overall comfort from either machine though. I just feel the XP is a little more on the trail side and the previous sportsmans lean a little more to the utility side.

Still, if I had to choose, I would choose the increased power of the 800 over the 550.

You also have the option of buying a barely used one. I've seen a few 850's in the forums that never even got broken in at very steeply decreased price over new. Some still have warranty for a year yet.

You have to decide what you really want in the machine.

I'm not sure if anyone here has had first hand experience with the 800 and 550.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer

I made the same choice when i bought my machine.

I picked the 800 over the 550 because of the extra horsepower.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks again on this subject. I'm leaning towards an xp, in fact scouring the ad's and E-bay trying to find an 850 with low miles and hours on it. Alot that I am finding for a reasonable price, I suspect are abused machines. I am very **** when it comes to buying a new machine,vehicle,or whatever. I'll just keep looking till the right one comes along or my local dealer starts getting the 2010's in and maybe I can haggle them on a 09. I'm patient that way, besides I still got my wifes magnum to ride if my old sportsman sells before I get a new one.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Pro Rider

That is a tough choice for most guys,I've seen a few similar threads on different forums..so I have thought about which I would choose...I really think I would choose the 550XP. I have owned an 08 800 and and 09 850XP...I'd say it depends on what you inted to do with it and what properties are inportant to you. The ONLY thing the 800 has over the 550 XP imo is the power... If you are mainly a recreational rider then it is no contest IMO...the 550XP. The XPs handling,comfort,steering effort ect is just plain better. If you do alot of chores with your ATV then the 800 might be better than the 550,the 800 is a working machine. I think the thing that makes the choice between those 2 machines hard for alot of guys is the act that they can't get past power/CC size issue,it seems to be more important that all the other things that the 550 is alot better at. I can't say much though, I like having the power too,so I'll be a 2nd to suggest getting the 850...maybe you can sneak the extra $1000 or so past the Mrs somehow..I know if it were me I would be plotting something lol. Maybe sell another toy to raise the extra cash.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

Readymixer169 your answer to all your questions is in Highoctane's signature. His 850 XP is for sale for $7000.00 and it has been very well maintained and cared for. PM him and find out whatever info you need.
Take good care and good luck with your decision
Dave

Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Haha, a wise man told me "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Hasn't worked for me though. I've been better off just saying what I'm going to do months ahead of time. Then it looks like you have been salivating for awhile, and wive's usually like to see the man suffer for awhile.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Xp - trail machine

800 - utility machine

Both are great but the XP is quite a nice improvement on the suspension, steering a gearing.

You will not need more power than the 550. It has plenty of power just the 800 has more.

My next will be an XP and I have had four SP 500s.

Quick Reply: 550 XP or 800 sportsman?