Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roofer
Didn't take too long till you whacked out........ You better today?

That answer you question?

Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Back on topic...after some hard and fast trail riding today,ie pushing it as hard as I could pretty much...I don't recalling hearing much of a comparision about this area but... I give braking to the XP...hands down the XPs brakes are superior...in both feel and braking abilty. If one thing slows the Outty down on the trails it would be the brakes IMO...hard to blaze through the trails when you aren't sure it will slow down in time to make a turn. My left forearm is exhausted lol...the Outtys brakes do not instill confidence like the brakes on the XP.

Also...I give the slight nod to the XP in handling under fast rough conditions as well...I mean riding trails at break neck speeds,probably faster than most ride,probably faster than I should be riding. At slow speeds over obstacles and moderate speed on the trail too close to call IMO...but at riding the trails as fast as I could, the XP does handle a tad better...well at least to me...maybe because I have more time on it on these trails and know what to expect from it...
No doubt the Outty has the power to keep up with the XP on the trails,and the handling is close enough, but IMO the brakes will be the limiting factor in actually doing so...still know I could run faster on the trails I ride on the Outty...but for how long before my left forearm wore out would be the question.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb SA's & Snide comments

I always came to the forums to learn more about ATVS all of them. Pays to read and learn. There is a wealth of information on this forum and other forums too. Different models for different people. I appreciate all Ive learned here. For the snide remarks and smart_ _s remarks there is no need for them here. BANNED would be a place to start for those responsible. All Ive learned here has helped alot of people I ride with and they all ride different quads.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

Hi Rod
Just had some time to read through the last 4 pages and I must say I'm sorry to see what's happened to the post. I really appreciate your perspective on the differences between the machines. I hold your opinion in very high regard and all the information you have put forth seems non bias and very factual and most important real experience. I just want to thank you for that and I hope you will continue as you discover more traits either similar of different.
Take good care
Dave

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation I Agree!!!!!

Originally Posted by 600Grizzly
Hi Rod
Just had some time to read through the last 4 pages and I must say I'm sorry to see what's happened to the post. I really appreciate your perspective on the differences between the machines. I hold your opinion in very high regard and all the information you have put forth seems non bias and very factual and most important real experience. I just want to thank you for that and I hope you will continue as you discover more traits either similar of different.
Take good care
Dave
agree Lets us ALL Learn!!!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

Hey Rod have been able to figure out the fuel consumption compared to the XP?

Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Rod have been able to figure out the fuel consumption compared to the XP?
Nothing definite yet...only have about 20 miles on it since I filled the tank. What I can say say far is..there are 9 bars on the fuel guage...from what I have read the guage tends to read low..in other words when it says the tank is empty it isn't nearly empty...IIRC the manual says you have 1/2 gal when the bars go away and the light comes on. 9 bars 4.3 gal tank should equal a little less than 1/2 gal per bar. After 20 miles of riding,about half of that being burst of WOT up to speeds over 70 mph the gauge shows 2 bars gone. So guessing I'd say about 20mpg..but the real info will come when I refill.

BTW..after getting used to the DPS and not tending to oversteer....the Outty definitely handles better at high speeds on improved surfaces than the XP......one of the places I ride fast has a bridge in a curve(this is pavement I'm talking)..at 60-70 it was down right scary on the XP...it would hop when you hit the bridge...on the Outty at the same speeds it is like I am driving an automobile...not hop...stays stuck to the road. How important is on-road hadling at high speed for an ATV? I'll let y'all decide...depends on how/where you ride I guess.
Also,for the high speed riders...she cruises at 55+ like it's a walk in the park..I think I drive it to Florida on the interstate pretty comfortably...lol

Old 09-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

Is the hop at the bridge more tire related or do you think it is the suspension?

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Is the hop at the bridge more tire related or do you think it is the suspension?
Please explain the hop you refer to.

I ride on tar roads over bridges also at around 50 mph and didn't notice anything.

I wonder why they (all manufacturers, it seems) are making the fuel tanks smaller???? Only plus with the late atv's though is the mileage has greatly improved.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider

The "hop" is suspension..did it on the stock tires and on the Horns..

Originally Posted by Roofer
Please explain the hop you refer to.

I ride on tar roads over bridges also at around 50 mph and didn't notice anything.

I wonder why they (all manufacturers, it seems) are making the fuel tanks smaller???? Only plus with the late atv's though is the mileage has greatly improved.
The hop I refer to is when I hit the little bump going onto the bridge in the curve the machine gets light over the bump and being that it is in a slight curve(slight turn and bump at the same time) it kind of jog/jumps to the outside of the curve a little..at 60 mph with a short wheel base it's not so fun. Wouldn't be a big deal when hitting a bridge/bump on a straight stretch...but this is a curve and bump combined..the Outty handles it ALOT better...not uncomfortable at all at at 60-70 mph...Like I said same spot on the XP was an pretty much a "oh **** don't do that again" spot at those speeds.
Is that a clearer explanation? Sorry...sometimes I'm not so good at painting a mental picture.
About the tanks...from what I have read there are new laws requiring thicker fuel tank walls...that is responsible for reduced capacity tanks on the Outtys supposedly..and maybe on other manufacturers as well.