Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

OK HO lets have the low down :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I thought of this is because people put 3 inch spacers under the front coil in the X2, it only raises the machine, not stiffen it up.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

[QUOTE=Jomax;2849840]
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE

I have a stupid question, does your 800 adjust like my XP? using the adjusters on the spring? I don't understand how that will make the ride either softer or harder, does it not just raise the spring up (and the quad with it)with out compressing it any more or less?, it would have to bottom out on the shock to change the compression? I always assumed all it would do is raise the front end up so it had more travel, as the spring doesnt have any resistance to preload against. Or do I have this all wrong??
Yes it adjusts the same way...to some extent that can lift the machine up a little the more you compress the spring,because it is lifting the spring up,which will reduce spring "sag",or the amount the spring compresses under the weight of the machine and rider. On most machines you will get a combination of raising the machine a little and compressing the spring. You can prove this to yourself by measuring the spring length at the lowest pre-load setting and the highest...it will be shorter at the highest setting...how much depends on the weight of the machine and the spring. Also take those measurements with a rider on the machine and the difference in length between the lowest pre-load and highest will likely be even more. Or even better turn the preload all the way down and ride some terrain,then turn it all the way up and you will feel the difference. Not all machines are affected the same by preload changes,different suspension set ups,(spring rates,shocks,shock angles ect)...can affect the amount of difference the preload adjustment will make. The purpose is not to raise or lower the machine,but to allow adjustability to compensate for the different weights riders and gear ect and maintain ride height and proper suspension feel. For instance if you load up the front rack you can turn up the front preload to reduce front end,diving and sag,compensating for that extra weight on the front of the machine.
The reason pre-load can affect stiffness and harsness is because the more you pre-compress the spring the more weight it takes to further compress it,even on a linear rate spring...ie on a 200 lb/in spring it takes 200 lb to compress it the first inch and additional 200 lbs of force to compress it another inch..for a total of 400 lb...that is where the added stiffness comes in. Make sense?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jomax
The reason I thought of this is because people put 3 inch spacers under the front coil in the X2, it only raises the machine, not stiffen it up.
You are talking strut vs double A-arm...but the theory is the same,just the affects might not be as geat for a given distance of compression....angles,spring rates and length ect are difference. People use those spacers because the front sags and has no preload adjustment correct? Well the spacers are stiffening the suspension some ...maybe not enough for it to be harsh and cause complaint,becasue it is too soft to start with right? Take an X2 with spacer next to one without and try pushing down on the front end...do you think they will be equally as easy to compress the front end?
Stiffening isn't a bad thing...there is too soft and too stiff,alot of which is personal preference.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer

Ah yes it does make sense! And I bet if you have progressive springs (tighter coils to the top) it will make even more difference in softness when you reduce the "preload". Thankyou for thorough explanation as always!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHEWWWWWW! Seems like this discussion (BASHING) is long overdue for TOPIC CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider
Doesn't care what people ride as long as they can keep up!

Thanks for your opinion and input UTU.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

must say this has been an interesting post....HO i beieve what u post is what u feel/experience. u have hands on ecperience on both machines. but u must always remember opinions are like a$$ holes!! every ones got one but some have bigger ones than others.......keep up the comparison posts. i am curious as to a long term rating on the canned ham......

Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
UTU
Pro Rider
Default I agree

Originally Posted by colt2245p
must say this has been an interesting post....HO i beieve what u post is what u feel/experience. u have hands on ecperience on both machines. but u must always remember opinions are like a$$ holes!! every ones got one but some have bigger ones than others.......keep up the comparison posts. i am curious as to a long term rating on the canned ham......
Yea, HO I value your experience and posts!!!!!!!!!!! Perry

Old 10-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Old 10-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by canambadas07
lol seriously? if you believe that video well then something is wrong.

Here is a 650 can am that beats an xp 850 by just as much.

YouTube - 650 v 850

same author, do you believe this too?

Here is a video of an xp whooping up a 800r.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wULDzhhX4hI

Sorry, but your just trying to stir crap up posting that video.