Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Polairs Sportsman 400, Wont run after 10 minutes of riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Polairs Sportsman 400, Wont run after 10 minutes of riding

Its getting aggrivating. After I ride it for about ten or 15, sometimes almost 30 minutes, then it just wants to die out. Its runs PERFECTLY untill the quad warms up it seems. It starts missing, if it is in drive, the four wheeler won't got faster then 3 miles an hour. It very rough sounding too, and very jerky as it tries to go, after a few mintutes of that, it won't go period. In nuetral it wont idle after it warms up and starts running like crap and then shuts off. It starts good EVERYDAY, runs perfect, only to have problems after it warms up.

I have had it in the shop, and just went and picked it up. It is still doing it. I had the carb cleaned, the gas drained and tank cleaned, a new fuel filter, and a new spark plug. The guys at the shop started the bike and let it run for a while ( of course it ran fine cause it didnt have enough time to warm up)
well they let it run and disconnected the fuel line and showed me it was getting gas.

Any thoughts? Please help me out here, Im tired of taking my ride to places and them saying they fixed it, but it still does the same thing. Im runnung out of money

Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you checked the vent lines for blockage or being crimped? did you ever notice the gas tank pressurized when you unscrewed the cap? sometimes if the vents are not working it can build up pressure and do as described. just a thouhgt.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Might be cheaper if you have a manual and an ohm meter. You can check the stator and coil resistance when warm, one could be cause of your problem. Havent had too many coil problems other than plug wires shorting out,but sounds like electrical breaking down when hot if fuel supply is not the problem? OPT

Old 10-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replys!

Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Diggin up an old thread...

So i haven't drove my 4 wheeler since around Halloween when I made the original post. The problem has seemed to go away. But now it won't Idle. It will Idle at half and full choke, but not on its own. Grrr

Old 01-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

P.S. I don't know how to adjust the carb in any way

Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Pro Rider

under the cerb is an idle screw, about 1/2 inch in diameter with finger holds on it , turn it to the right and see if it will idle.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Im a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics. Is it because it sat for a while, or maybe the weather. What made not want to idle right?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

Gas goes bad within a couple of months unless you use stabil or seafoam in it, it forms a kinda varnish in the carb that plugs the small openings in the jets, causes all kinds of problems, your carb probably needs a good cleaning, need to empty the gas tank and refill with fresh gas, buy some stabill or seafoam and keep it mixed when not riding regular.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a couple ideas for you. 1. look to make sure the rubber carb boot is good and not cracked. 2. check crankcase sealing. This can be done by blocking off the intake and exhaust ports and putting no more than 10 psi of air pressure in the spark plug hole and make sure no air is seeping seeping out of the base gasket, crankcase halves, or the crank seals. Also typically when crankcase seals or case halves are leaking you will see an oil/gas/grease mess where the leak is. You may have to remove the drive clutch and flywheel for closer inspection of the seals. I had an 85 trail boss 250 that would run circles around a 500 sportsman and as soon as it warmed up it would bog along and barely move. Turned out the sealant on the crankcase halves was leaking and was worse the warmer the thing got...That one took me a while to find...Good Luck