Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman 650 XP

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roofer
Doesn't the XP have more GC than the other brands?

I think the wheelbase is a difference of 3-4" from the XP to the X2. I rode with a guy who had a Grizzly and 28" Vampires. He never got hung up on anything. He went right over snow banks. I realized that it was because of his short wheelbase and large tires. His tires from front to back almost touched....almost like being on tracks, no room inbetween to get him hung up. I also noticed on the same ride that a guy with a ATP (longer wheelbase) got hung up on every log and snowbank because he bottomed out inbetween the tires.
I'm sure the ride is smoother and riding hills is better with the longer wheelbase, but it has it's downfalls like anything else.
I think both Polaris and Can-Am claim 12",but I don't think either really has that stock unless you lift the front and rear and extend the suspnsion then measure lol
On 26" BHs the GC at the lowest point on my Max and the XP was the same, at about 12". The shape of the belly of the XP makes it look like it has more GC than it does. The center of the XP(basically the foot well area) is the lowest point while the front and rear are swept up some. Good for approach and departure angles I guess?
Thinking about it more, some of how well the Max climbs over downed trees compared to the XP could be due to the lighter weight(lighter than a 550XP) and the shape of the Ricochet skids I guess....

I could see the snow thing being an issue with longer wheelbase,no snow banks around here.
Certainly, it does have downfalls in certain situations,just like the shorter machine has downfalls in certain situations. So far I haven't found myself in any of those situations. I did roll my XP because bottoming at the crest of a steep hill...don't have the nerve to try that hill again on any ATV..I know the Max would climb it...it is cresting it that is the problem.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by RticKwad
Okay well since you all are off topic then I qualify as the thread starter to a question on that note...lol.. I would assume with the larger wheel base that you are less prone to wheelie and tip over (not sideways) while hill cresting? Man, it sure would be nice to try these different model types of different terrain to really gauge for one's self if its (X2 in this case) is "more suitable" for their unique applications.

How much longer is the frame on these X2/2-Ups anyways?

Thx,

R'
Kind of an update for you RtickKwad on a 2 up's climbing ability..
I went out this evening on the Outty Max for the 1st time to a hill I'd previously attempted several times on the XP with no success...it is STEEP with not much room at the bottom to get a run and not much room at all at the top before you are into trees...tricky bugger. I've seen one guy make it...he also ended up climbing a tree at the top becasue he hit it WOT and stayed in it like a champ lol.....wasn't pretty!
The times I tried to climb it on the XP I would either lose traction before getting halfway up if I didn't get enough momentum or if I got up enough momentum it would start lifting the front end at the crest and I would have to let out...well on the same tires,26 BH2.0s I climbed it about 10 times tonight on the Max without even getting the adrenalin pumping or climbing any trees at the top lol.
Kind of sucks..I'm out of climbing challenges here near the house...lol.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Cool, thanks for the report! But I hope the 2-up wouldn't present that situation of the second rider on that too steep hill ending it differently...:-( Well give it time and someone probably will shame to say! With your report and MH and others to add, I wonder why these haven't been giving the status of the Superior hill climbing machines?

Regards,

R'