Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 Polaris 800 X2 LE Battery Dead

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Polaris 800 X2 LE Battery Dead

Hi all,
I bought this machine new and it only has 14 hours on it and never left outside. Since the weather got really cold here at night, the battery just makes the solenoid click. It will start with the battery charger of course.

Has anyone heard of the OEM Polaris bettery going out within a year? What brand of battery would be a good replacement or upgrage?

Old 12-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

found that my battery for some reson as well just sh#t the bed as well,and won't even take a charge.hopefully it's just the battery that caused it and not a discharge on the bike. i have read about the oddesy(think thats the name) is being used as a very good replacement. expensive, but worth it i'm told.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

I will look for that, thanks a bunch!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

An 08 model year might have been made in 07. It's almost 2010 now. Sitting is not good for lead acid batteries. If you have only 14 hours on it, my thought is that could be the culprit. Just my .02 worth. You might get a battery tender if you are not going to use it enough to give it a good charge every so often. It should help. I try to run our's a couple hours every month or so and it's worked well in the 05 and 06.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

ill agree. having the wheeler sit for some time will make the battery go down. and winter will defently test the batter. and if it goes dead in the cold, and its not charged will freez it. thus makeing the battery useless. you may as well buy a new battery and get a battery tender. so when it sits it will keep the battery fully charges so it wont freez. and kill another one.

i have an 08 500 i use it for plowing. in feb 2009 5 monthes after i got it the battery froze on me. luckely i has a warranty on it still so they fixed it free. my solinoid also whent out for some reason at the same time. id like to put abattery tender on mine "i got one" but cant use it as mine sits in a stoarge shed. but im planning on asking the owner if i can get a solar pannel and magnet it to the side of the building to try and keep my battery up. i have also added a sae plug to my trailer. then i added a jumper wire that plugs into my trailer and the aux plug i added to the back of my wheeler. the jumper wire also has a diode so it dont drain when i shut my parking lights off. i think its been working.....

Old 12-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Agreed! A battery that sits idle or used very little is worse than working one hard! everyday.
Definetly get a tender if your going to have it sit for lengths of time. I purchased a energizer brand atv battery in a pinch for $45 and did'nt expect much for the money, and to my surprise, 3 years later and it's still as strong as the day I bought it. Go figure?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 AM
Trailblazer

You can also check to see if there is any drain on your battery while the ATV is not on if you have a multimeter. Disconnect the negative side of your battery. Check the voltage reading between the disconnected wire and the negative terminal of your battery. Shouldn't show anything. If it does you may have a short somewhere. You can narrow down where the short is by unplugging one fuse at a time until you don't get a reading on the multimeter. I had a problem with my generator killing batteries in less than a year. I fixed that problem. I got a battery from WalMart that had a three year full replacement warranty. Now they replace my battery once a year :-)

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

My brothers 04 330 ATP went thru a battery each year until his ECM started on fire, he replace that and all has been fine now. It turns out his ECM was bad all along & kept draining the battery, but his crappy dealer could never find a problem, bunch of idiots.

This is the same group of morons that couldn't figgure out why his ATP always squeaked while driving along, which made hunting a real challenge, SQUEAK, SQUEAK, SQUEAK - here we come.... It turns out that he found his brake acturator was siezed up and this problem happend from day one, this was so irratating that the dealer had his ATV more months during his 1st year of ownership than he did and they were so stupid, that they never found the problem.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
My home made pliers did get the job too.

Join the crowd, I run my '07 800 X2 year around, and have had the same experience

Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Range Rover

my xp 850 battery died also....(at about 40 hours) it wouldnt take a charge or even a jumpstart...... turned out it had 3 dead cells? put in a really good heavy duty battery .cost 175.00 (ouch) but now i have a new problem......lost 4wd.. hope its not going to be 1 problem after another?.......i guess time will tell..besides the problems i totally love the xp.....really nice ride.....