Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Paint Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Paint Issues

I have a Sportsman with the blue "Automotive Finish" that Polaris advertises is so durable. They must not plan for people who buy these things to do any real offroading. After a few tree scuffs the paint either gets scratched or worse flakes off completely. Now I have bare plastic spots that look terrible next to the shiny paint. I've talked to two dealers about what I can do to try to touch up the finish. The guy at the dealer I bought the machine from didn't even know Polaris painted some models of this machine and actually tried to tell me somebody else painted it. After I expalained it to him he said he needed a paint code which I can't find and he didn't know where to tell me to look. So basically they're no help. The other dealer said I was S.O.L. Has anyone ever had any luck repairing the finish on one of these machines?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Talk to Sportsman7003, he has done lot of body work, paint etc. he would be a good
resource! I can sympathsize with you on not getting "good info" from the local dealers
as to why I find this FORUM a great place to be...8-)

On the different body colors though my dealer told me when purchasing mine two yrs ago that the strongest body colors were the Stealth Black and CAMO because they are heat molded. I will tell ya, I have tree scrapes on my fender wheels now that shows white on black. So I think you will get that same effect on any of these solid colors, maybe the CAMO is better but lots of folks complained about the Purple fading issues in times past.

Hope you get a solution soon to your liking!

Regards,

R'

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

I have a 850LE in the Nuclear Sunset, had the color read by computer at a auto paint supply store. It came up a Z code $250 a quart for a base coat 2 stage color. I asked Polaris and they said check with the dealer, dealer said he had no idea. If it starts to peal or flake it's going stealth black!

Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I have had painted and non-painted plastic. I prefer the non-painted because it looks good longer. The regular colored plastic fenders are the way to go in my book.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

I definitely like the stealth black. Mine has tree rubs on the sides of the fenders and the plastic underneath is black. Most people don't notice unless their looking for it. My buddy's camo shows very little wear as well.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

you can order from the dealer. a small bottle of touch up, a small aerosol can and it can be ordered in quarts........if the dealer doesnt know of this find another dealer...polaris has a list of all colors including wheels, a arms etc it also covers street bikes and sleds.......they have it maybe they just dont know where to look

Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

My next Polaris will be camo.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

I have the Mossy Oak camo. It really holds up well. The black portions of the bumper and wheel flairs are scratched up quite a bit but as far as the main body it is amazing there is no scratches. My 500 HO is a 2005 1/2. I have seen earlier models fade to purple. I think it is because they are left out in the sunlight for long periods of time. I keep mine in the shed or garage when I am noy riding it and there is no sign of purple yet. I don't beleive what the stealer told you about your paint. Even though you bought the bike from him. Come on Stealer get a grip.