Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'08 Outlaw 90 stalls in water

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 Outlaw 90 stalls in water

Hey everyone, was looking through the forums and did not see the problem I'm having posted. Starting about 6 months ago my sons Outlaw stalls everytime he splashes through water (nothing deep 4-6 inches). If he creeps through it he has no problem and it never stalls on dry land. I tried some dielectric grease around the spark plug and boot but no help. (Maybe I didn't put enough in there - should it be put in heavy?)
Another rider I met this weekend said his sons did the same thing and it was the stator? I'm assuming this is like a distributer on a car, any information regarding how to troubleshoot / fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like water is getting the electrical wet for sure. check to seal if everything is sealed up good down in the stator area. check to see if water is getting in and around the coil as well.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

To much dialectric grease in the sparkplug boots will cause them to blow off after the engine warms up and pressure builds within due to too tight of aa seal,at least it did on car/pickup plug wires.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

We had 2 kids riding with us last weekend, one was on a 50...the other a 90. They weren't outlaws but...both kids atv's died in the puddles when they splashed through them...if they took their time and idled through they ran fine.

When they splashed through it caused steam and also splashed up on the air cleaner...the steam/moisture got pulled through the air cleaner/carb and killed them. Both machines would start back up if we turned them over for a bit.

So that was our sat. night drinking project on the 50. We snorkled it with some 1-1/2 pvc and fittings I had left over in the truck from a plumbing project... Fun little project. The next day riding that kid splashed through every puddle he could find and never killed it.

Wenty

Old 09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the information! I'm going to look at the stator and coil to see if that is the cause. I don't think it's an issue with water/steam getting into the carb through the air filter because it is dry and always restarts without flipping it over or "drying time". I will start with the coil/stator and keep everyone posted incase anyone else has this issue.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sportsman 90 stalls in water.

I have a 2008 sportsman 90 that dies when it gets wet too. Last week I snorkeled it and still have the same problem. I have checked the stator, put dielectric grease in the plug boot. I have yet to come up with a solution. My 2001 lt 80 never gave me any trouble. I used yto bury that thing in mud with me and my daughter on it. I might just tell my friend to sell this and buy a suzuki. I dont know why but I have read nothing but problems on this thing. the only problem is polaris is the only one to make a utility 90.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the forum! There are so many electrical items subject to water splash up: from the ignition switch connection that just has a plastic pull over sleeve, spark plug in the front, exposed resistor block, coil mounted right above the carb, the cdi right above it, the air inlet tube and the stator cover itself not being water resistant! (and this is just on the 2-stroke versions,and the newer four strokes don't fare much better) I don't think Polaris or (Aeon OR Eton,can't remember the manufacturer of the little ones??) were aware that kids were going to go to the same places as the parents! I agree that they need to make a sturdier utility 50 and 90 for the kids and that they need to realize that they don't just ride em in the back yard or on clean trails! I had the same problem trying to "water proof" them the best I could when they came in the shop. OPT

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

my xplorer keep stalling out in water,...ended up sealing whole sparkplug from boot to head with high temp silicon,..fixed mine!! ride in water up to the racks an ant had no more problums....