Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97' Polaris Xplorer 500 low gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 97' Polaris Xplorer 500 low gear issues

I have a 97' Polaris Xplorer 500 and am having issues with it not wanting to shift into low gear. I push the shift lever where it would normally go into gear and i just hear clicking. If I push it hard i can get it to go in but it kicks out pretty quickly upon giving it gas.

I have adjusted the rod and got it to stay in low gear but then it messed up reverse and high (it wouldn't come out of low). I also adjusted the high and reverse rod but had issues with it not wanting to go into AWD.

A few years ago I replaced the gear shift assembly as I was having problems with the switch for AWD but I bought a used one through e-bay.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I was thinking about buying a brand new shift assembly but don't want to do that if it is something in the transmission itself.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Check that levers are tight on tranny,shift into neutral, loosen 10mm lock nuts at both linkage bars at small rod ends close to shift box,remove linkage from shifter, check shifter operation without linkage for binding/ sloppy play,then turn rod ends out or in to where they drop STRAIGHT IN shafts on shift box with out any pulling on linkage.Tighten and check shifting,if still have problems,its usually the shift box. Also chg trans fluid if its been a while. If the shifter was used when you got it,could be the culprit! You could try to clean and oil shifter assy and put fresh 30 wt oil until it barely cover internal shift bars,BUT may not help. Hopefully linkage adjustment will help. OPT

Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

After I started having the problem with not shifting into low I pulled the gear shift box apart and thoroughly cleaned it and put it back together. Didn't fix it a bit. I also drained the tranny fluid, filled it with kerosene, then drained that and put fresh polaris fluid in. I will re-adjust the rods but am certain that isn't the problem. There is quite a bit of play in the shifter so I guess my next step is buying a new shifter mechanism. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK, before I spend the $250 to $300 on a new shifter assembly I want to make sure about any more ideas that you all might have.

I found that the aluminum piece (Bellcrank) was still holding but was stripped so I replaced it. I'm still having problems with not being able to get low gear to engage far enough to stay in. I have done all the things that everybody has told me as far as adjusting the linkages. All i get when I try to put it into low is clicking when I try to pull it back all the way to engage it. Sometimes I can get it to engage but it slippes out as soon as i give it gas.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dwright
OK, before I spend the $250 to $300 on a new shifter assembly I want to make sure about any more ideas that you all might have.

I found that the aluminum piece (Bellcrank) was still holding but was stripped so I replaced it. I'm still having problems with not being able to get low gear to engage far enough to stay in. I have done all the things that everybody has told me as far as adjusting the linkages. All i get when I try to put it into low is clicking when I try to pull it back all the way to engage it. Sometimes I can get it to engage but it slippes out as soon as i give it gas.
This is a common problem when shifters are worn,not being able to stay in gear,usually either HI or LOW even when linkage is adjusted spot on. You can try adjusting linkage on low a tad more since its separate from HI,NEUTRAL,REVERSE and see if will stay in gear,but can cause binding when going back to neutral and then to high or reverse! Most of the ones I had problems with was HIGH range since most people didn't use low that often. They would have a "positive" low,but hi range would kick out! When you said the shifter had a lot of slack/ play,then its usually time for a new one as the main parts needed for repair are NLA. If you purchase a new one make sure its in neutral and adjust again to where the pivots just drop straight in with no binding! Hopefully it will be like new machine as far as shifting! OPT

Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

shifter probably gonna be my next issue!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate your help on this old polaris tech. I'm going to go spend some money.