Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
It works great. I do wish that it worked at all speeds.

It would be nice that if you wanted go a little faster that you could. As soon as you touch the throttle it disengages the ADC and off you go.

There are two reservoirs right next to each other, one is for the brake fluid and one is for the ADC fluid. WHY did Polaris come out with a special ADC fluid? Polaris has more "special" fluids than all the other manufactures combined. And if you happen to add brake fluid to the ADC reservoir it would be catastrophic. It would have the same results as adding engine oil to the brake fluid reservoir causing all of the rubber components to become soft and swell destroying the entire system.

It does work great for crawling down steep hills.

I think we are going to drop it off as soon as Doug’s new 570 RZR gets here and he goes and picks it up.

I’m just glad that mine is under warrantee for as long as I have it.

I do enjoy riding it.

The power seems to be getting a little better as I put some miles on it, I'm up to about 225 miles.

It is an "aggressive" machine and these new Black Diamond XTRs are awesome tires.
I hear you on the fluids. The Touring and X2 models also have a different fluid for the rear axle/transmission from the regular machine, if I'm not mistaken. I do think it's kind of cool that my quad has a Spicer rear axle! The power does get better after the first few hundred miles.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadly1980
Nice vid! Thanks for posting.

I think having the camera down where you had it allowed it to pick up some funky squeaking noise near the engine bay. Just amplified by the camera which seemed a bit odd.

Tires look to be working quite well. I do some thing around the yard, so I am trying to find a happy medium with trail riding and not tearing my yard up with such an aggressive tread when putzing around the house.
my 09 xp850 sounded the same- if you wanna hear a bunch of odd sounds ride a can-am 800 or a brete 750 - those sounds will have'ya scratching your head

Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works great. I do wish that it worked at all speeds.

It would be nice that if you wanted go a little faster that you could. As soon as you touch the throttle it disengages the ADC and off you go.

There are two reservoirs right next to each other, one is for the brake fluid and one is for the ADC fluid. WHY did Polaris come out with a special ADC fluid? Polaris has more "special" fluids than all the other manufactures combined. And if you happen to add brake fluid to the ADC reservoir it would be catastrophic. It would have the same results as adding engine oil to the brake fluid reservoir causing all of the rubber components to become soft and swell destroying the entire system.
Fortunately they now use the same fluid in the ADC and the front differential. It used to be two seperate fluids, now they both use Demand Drive Plus. I have never had to open either reservoir with one exception, and that was on my wifes 500 when I thought I needed to bleed the ADC. Turns out all I needed to do was change the demand drive fluid one more time to make the grinding noise I was hearing go away. Very important to keep that changed on a regular basis as it is very sensitive to dirty fluid. Knowing that, I now change it with every motor oil change.
Sounds like you are liking the new Black Diamond tires. My buddy is running them on his 550, and so far his biggest complaint is how stiff the side walls are. He said that because of that, they ride a little rough. I just ordered some PB Rockers and I'm curious to compare them to the Bighorns that I have been running for the last three years. I'm not convinced about the PB's yet, but wanted a taller tire so I thought I would give them a try. Hope they come in this week so I can check them out.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

The ADC firs quit working with only 175 miles on it and I'm only up to 225.

First time I rode with the Black Diamond XTRs I did not like the ride at all. We started at 4 psi and I now run 2 1/2 psi all the way around; big improvement in the ride. The XTRs were designed for heavier SxSs.

These tires have out performed every tire I have run so far except in the snow my Carlisle ACT HDs have out performed everything I have used so far in the snow.

The next set of tires I'm going to run are Grim Reapers. We'll see how they do.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
my 09 xp850 sounded the same- if you wanna hear a bunch of odd sounds ride a can-am 800 or a brete 750 - those sounds will have'ya scratching your head
I spend a day on a 750 Brute Force and the whiny tranmission drove me nuts.

I did spend a day on a 800 Outlander Max and the thing that stuck out was the heat from the clutch.

I drove a 800 Renegade but just far enough to exersize it, I really didn't pay much attention to anything else.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
Pro Rider

These are pretty aggressive tires. I would not want to ride them around my yard on the lawn.
With your vast riding experience, do you think you could recommend something that would more fit the bill of not tearing up the yard and a good trail tire? A good mix between the two?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

With your vast riding experience, do you think you could recommend something that would more fit the bill of not tearing up the yard and a good trail tire? A good mix between the two?
You might look into ITP Terra Cross. I personally have never run them but I asked a ggod friend and that was his recommendation.

My favorite all around tire are Calrlise ACTs but I hear they are phasing them out.

ATV Shows

ATV Shows

I'm not sure but I don't think you would be looking at the HDs.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

You might look into ITP Terra Cross. I personally have never run them but I asked a ggod friend and that was his recommendation.

My favorite all around tire are Calrlise ACTs but I hear they are phasing them out.

ATV Shows

ATV Shows

I'm not sure but I don't think you would be looking at the HDs.

I got over 10,000 miles on ITP Terracross love them , never a flat never a problem a great all around tire . But there not a big mud tire . When the time comes to replace I'm buying them again 26" I think next time tho .

Old 12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

You might also look at the Maxxis Bighorn's. "Almost" everyone says they are a better tire than the terra cross and definitely cheaper. I've never run terra cross tires but I've been running Bighorns for a few years now. They are a great trail and rock tire and also do great in snow. As with other AT tires, they do good in some mud, but not great. Not a big deal here in Colo. Worth a look.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

great, thanks guys. Back to the original thoughts related to this thread!