Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
I appologize for it being so shiny and clean.

No apology needed. I feel guilty that I haven't kept mine cleaner but its been too cold outside to wash.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by NoJoke
......and the 500 HO Touring still has the flat seat. I wonder if the XP Sportman seat would fit onto the XP Touring?
Good question. But I wont buy one to find out.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider

Things I do like: JMO

The looks from the side, I don’t care for the grille.
Large floor boards
Storage
EPS
EFI
ADC (when it works)
Ignition switch, no starter button
It runs good and has good power
Does a nice job handling the rough trails at higher speeds
Added wheelbase
It feels stable
It feels aggressive

I think the last three are all related.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Look at that tire "grab" that rock. One lug has been pushed up level with the rock surface while the other 1 1/8" tall lugs grip the rock to
pull the ATV over. 2 1/2 psi F&R.

I really like these tires. They are 9 and 11x26x14 - stock size.

Tore up a lot of trail with them today.

Those Grim Reapers Doug has better be some dam good tires.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so geeked you got a Polaris to test out...this thread is awesome and only gets better as you get more miles on the machine and get more pictures. Love it!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chadly1980
I am so geeked you got a Polaris to test out...this thread is awesome and only gets better as you get more miles on the machine and get more pictures. Love it!
Thank you.

I am doing my best to just list down what I like and don't like.

I do enjoy riding it.

The ADC worked again today, maybe its fixed. I learned a lot about the ADC too. I'll post it in a bit.

I wish the gas tank was made of white plastic instead of black. It sure would make it easier when fueling up if you could see how full it was getting.

I was just out playing around today. When the going was rougher and the snow was deeper I couldn't do any video because I needed both hands to ride.

Todays ride 12/09/2011 - YouTube

With these STI Black Diamond XTRs and the 57" wheelbase makes this a fairly stable and aggressive machine.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

I had to use the "reverse override" button yesterday, I hate override buttons.

I was trying to back up off some rocks and the engine was just cutting out and I thought;
"now whats wrong???".

Let off the throttle and tried it again but this time listiening a little closer I could tell it was being
"governed". Then I saw the override by the little yellow button.

How dumb are overrides??????

Old 12-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

My favorite kind of riding is in low range climbing up, over, around, through any and everything. I like steep, rocky and I guess
some call it technical riding. I like climbing over fallen trees and hearing the limbs crack and snap as the tires bust them off.

These STI Black Diamond XTRs do that very well.
They are aggressive tires and they love to be abused.

I understand that this has more "ground clearance" than my Rubicon. I ride a lot in the same places and I drag the bottom of this Polaris
as much as I do my Rubicon. It might not drag on the same rocks or the tops of the same hills, different place and different times but I
drag the bottom as much on this Touring as I did my Rubicon. I'm afraid the undercarrige wont look like new when Polaris gets it back.

Some places the added length is good and some places it's not.

And when you are coming down a steep hill and partially because of the forward slop of the seat that has a tendency to make you slide
forward when you turn the handles bars as far as they will go they hit your leg, at least they do mine.

So far I do enjoy riding this Touring in the "technical" stuff and having a front "locker" does have it's advantages.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta

My favorite kind of riding is in low range climbing up, over, around, through any and everything. I like steep, rocky and I guess
some call it technical riding. I like climbing over fallen trees and hearing the limbs crack and snap as the tires bust them off.

These STI Black Diamond XTRs do that very well.
They are aggressive tires and they love to be abused.

I understand that this has more "ground clearance" than my Rubicon. I ride a lot in the same places and I drag the bottom of this Polaris
as much as I do my Rubicon. It might not drag on the same rocks or the tops of the same hills, different place and different times but I
drag the bottom as much on this Touring as I did my Rubicon. I'm afraid the undercarrige wont look like new when Polaris gets it back.

Some places the added length is good and some places it's not.

And when you are coming down a steep hill and partially because of the forward slop of the seat that has a tendency to make you slide
forward when you turn the handles bars as far as they will go they hit your leg, at least they do mine.

So far I do enjoy riding this Touring in the "technical" stuff and having a front "locker" does have it's advantages.
You probably have about the same breakover angle with the 2-up longer wheelbase as you did with the Honda. I still prefer the longer wheelbase for stability.

What does Polaris have for a skidplate underneath the XP? I've never asked anyone or crawled underneath one long enough to really get a good look at it.

I don't like that saddle shaped seat that the Touring has. One of those, "What were they thinking?, types of things.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all the years of riding, have you ever wanted to try a set of Tatou Tracks? Is it necessary/desired in your winter climate?

I also think that technical riding is the best...but we have to drive a loooooong way to find it here in Southeast Wisconsin.