Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once again I would like to thank Doug Meyer of ATVTV.com and Polaris Industries for giving me a new Polaris 550 Touring EPS ATV to ride for a year, thank you.

I would also like to thank STI for the awesome Black Diamond XTR radial tires and HD2 wheels to go with it, thank you.

This is actually a great package. The wheels and tires are a great compliment to this ATV.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet pic!

Are you allowed to tell us some of the details around your year-long testing? Do you have to take meticulous logs of riding, miles, maintenance, etc.? Submit entries to them monthly?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Some asked about the skipplates on the xp's. I have the regular xp and it has under the front diff and some of the motor. Then there are two plastic plates to cover the rest of the machine. The only thing I don't like is there is a hole for the oil filter to drop through the skidpaltes and the fiter is only about an inch higher than the plates. There were some predrilled holes by the filter access so I made my own.

I think the welded steel skids were tougher but it is kinda nice to be able to unbolt them and clean the mud out easily.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

And how did you get chosen did you submit your name and your randomly picked ? I always thought Polaris should give me a test machine just this summer I did 4200 miles , I'd give it a good high mileage test something they might not want Hello Polaris .

Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chadly1980
Sweet pic!

Are you allowed to tell us some of the details around your year-long testing? Do you have to take meticulous logs of riding, miles, maintenance, etc.? Submit entries to them monthly?
Thanks, I like that picture too.

All my pictures, findings, opinions, conclusions; everything goes to Doug Meyer of ATVTV.com. They are not meticulous.

Doug lined the deal up with Polaris for me to do a long term test mostly due to the miles that I ride annually and my "understanding" of ATVs. Doug basically gave me the ATV and told me to ride it like it was mine.

I read a comparison article the other day between 4 ATVs, it stated that they put 150 miles on the ATVs - that's only 40 miles of seat time on each ATV for each rider - what kind of evaluation is that?

The more time I spend on this Touring the more I understand how everything works. I don't just come down on hill and say "WOW!! that ADC is awesome!". I have ridden down tons of steep hills experiencing just about every kind of surface you can imagine - and my opinion of the ADC is different than the first few time I experienced it. That's to me is experience more so than just an opinion.

If there are issues I document mileage and hours, describe the issue and give it to Doug.

Other than that I just tell him everything that I like and don't like. Things that I think Polaris has done an awesome job with and things I think need a little more work.

Same with the tires. We have about 6 different sets of tires and wheels for testing, again I tell Doug what I think about what ever tire I'm running.

I only have 325 miles on it so far and the only mechanical issue I have had is the ADC is intermittent, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I’ve been told that it's very possible it could be the ADC fluid.

I think Friday I'll be trading Doug my Black Diamond XTRs for a set of Grim Reapers.

This has shocked a whole lot of people because I have always been a die-hard Honda man and it kills them to see me riding a Polaris.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Tonyxp
Some asked about the skipplates on the xp's. I have the regular xp and it has under the front diff and some of the motor. Then there are two plastic plates to cover the rest of the machine. The only thing I don't like is there is a hole for the oil filter to drop through the skidpaltes and the fiter is only about an inch higher than the plates. There were some predrilled holes by the filter access so I made my own.

I think the welded steel skids were tougher but it is kinda nice to be able to unbolt them and clean the mud out easily.

I took these pictures today when I changed the oil and filter today and I thought it was a piece of cake and cost me about $30 for Polaris oil and a Polaris oil filter.

If anyone ever thinks changing their oil and filter is a pain they have never changed them on a Honda Rubicon.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Spdecat
And how did you get chosen did you submit your name and your randomly picked ? I always thought Polaris should give me a test machine just this summer I did 4200 miles , I'd give it a good high mileage test something they might not want Hello Polaris .
I average 3000+ hard miles a year.

I was chosen because of my abilities to test and report my findings in an un-biased manor.

I have met all of the product/marketing managers while attending the 2011 Polaris introduction in Montana back in June 2010 - SUPER people.

That and Doug and I are great friends and he just lives down the road from me.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been reading your posts as you test out the Polaris and I'm slowly noting a hint of scepticism towards the Rubicon especially on the oil filter changes! Lucky guy! I worked on Polaris for almost 23 years and never got squat when I retired but a pat on the back Happy Trails Keep us updated! OPT

Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
I’ve been told that it's very possible it could be the ADC fluid.
Quite possible, read many posts on the polaris forum about "funny" ADC's that seem to get better with a fluid change (or 2). Also, I didn't realize that people actually fork over $12 a quart for oil, I just buy mobil 1 full sythetic at walmart with a coupon. I do use the demand drive fluid from Polaris though as I hear it's the only one that will work in the front diff without issues. Thanks for your write up BTW, it's a great read!

Old 12-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bgirard420
Also, I didn't realize that people actually fork over $12 a quart for oil,
It's their machine. I'm following their recommendations. I will use only Genuine Polaris Parts and fluids.

Right now after spending $30 for the oil and filter I figure I’m still $9269 ahead.

If it was my personal ATV I would have still used their oil for the first oil change and then I would start looking for a replacement oil. I would probably continue using their oil filter.

I hope just a fluid change will fix the ADC. I understand that now they use the front diff fluid for the ADC fluid instead of their ADC fluid.