Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a beautiful day here today.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Is out in front the best place for the brake line??

Old 01-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
We have a lot of trails here that are a mix of rough sections where low and slow is the best approach. Then you hit a section that's smooth enough to do 25-30 or so. It gets old fast to switch back and forth all the time.
I can't agree with you more here Moose. It seems like I have to shift more than anyone in our group. It did get much better with the upgraded clutch though I still can't really go more than 25 in low. Beergut and RoadieStar never go below 30 so they don't have to shift

Originally Posted by Specta
I'll see how fast mine will go in low. I can barely get 50 out of it in high on level ground.
Sounds like something is wrong here I get 55 on my 500 with a clutch kit that "decreases top end" and heavy 8 ply tires like those reapers. You should be able to get 60 without a problem IMO. Maybe it needs a few more miles of breaking-in?

Is out in front the best place for the brake line??
Some richochets would hide those lines a little better. Haven't read about too many problems with this setup though.

I like the CanAms idea of centralizing the brakes and getting them off the hub. It keeps all the "guts" tucked inside like a human body and for the most part it works well. Much easier to live without an appendange than without a heart

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bgirard420
Sounds like something is wrong here
I got about 32 mph in low yesterday and it sounded like it was going to blow up

Maybe Polaris knew I was getting it and put a "governor" on it. Doug wont give me his 850 Touring because he says he doesn't want me to kill myself.

I don't mind shifting but even after 650 miles I still haven't got use to the shifter.

The pattern is not right to me, should be PRNHL and I wish the positions were more pronounced. I know why Polaris put low before high.

Three times facing down on steep hills I've knocked it out of park with my leg, once it was no fun at all.

And if you're going down a steep hill and have to turn sharp the handle bars hit my legs partially due to the seat on the Touring has a tendency to push you forward. I think the ergonomics could use a little more attention.

And these Grim Reapers are very aggressive tires in the snow.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:33 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

The pattern is not right to me, should be PRNHL and I wish the positions were more pronounced. I know why Polaris put low before hig..
that's how it is on the can-am. I always have to tell people who don't usually ride atv's to make sure they are in H not L.
Couple of times some people rode my atv and come back and say "feels slow but lots of power" then I look what gear they are in and they have the selector all the way up in L

Three times facing down on steep hills I've knocked it out of park with my leg, once it was no fun at all.

And if you're going down a steep hill and have to turn sharp the handle bars hit my legs partially due to the seat on the Touring has a tendency to push you forward. I think the ergonomics could use a little more attention.
I used to do this all the time on my polaris!
I would always hit that damn shifter with my leg.

That's the one thing I like about the suzuki KQ- they put their shifter on the left side up high- so my throttle hand can stay put. I hate shifting with my right hand- but it's not a "deal breaker" for me.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

I got about 32 mph in low yesterday and it sounded like it was going to blow up

Maybe Polaris knew I was getting it and put a "governor" on it. Doug wont give me his 850 Touring because he says he doesn't want me to kill myself. .
30 is about the limit for low and yes, it sounds like it is going to blow up on my machine as well. I used to do a lot of low trail riding when I first got it but now if I know I am going to be going 15 MPH or faster at some point I just leave it in High. Although I have never ridden in terrain like yours!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
That's the one thing I like about the suzuki KQ- they put their shifter on the left side up high- so my throttle hand can stay put. I hate shifting with my right hand- but it's not a "deal breaker" for me.
Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me either but I do prefer the shifter on the left side and a brake lever on the right side.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chadly1980
30 is about the limit for low and yes, it sounds like it is going to blow up on my machine as well. I used to do a lot of low trail riding when I first got it but now if I know I am going to be going 15 MPH or faster at some point I just leave it in High. Although I have never ridden in terrain like yours!
I ride more in high than I thought I was going to. I think it's the difference between the 500 and the 550s clutches.

I do spend a lot of time in low.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

I like having low before high. Usually if you put it in high you are going to stay in high for a while. If you are using low you seem to be using reverse more. Like when mudding constantly shifting between the two. Or if you plow snow with it. I think it makes sense to me, however I have only owned polarises but when I try a friends machine out it seems weird.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Tonyxp
but when I try a friends machine out it seems weird.
It's always the other guys who's is weird.