Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 90 Transmission Contamination

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 90 Transmission Contamination

After making the mistake of putting the screen in backwards, and breaking the cap, I got everything installed this morning. I found a had a quart of left over AGL transmission fluid on the shelf. I decided to go ahead and change it while I was at it. When I cracked the drain cap, the fluid was milky white coming out. Usually this is a sign of water in there. As far as I know, its a 2007, and the previous owner did not do much maintenance on it. Most of the zerk fitting covers were still on it, and the zerks were dry as could be. So I assume this is the first time its been changed. Should I look for a place for water to get in? Nothing is loose, so I guess maybe someone dunked it a time or two. Whats the best place to look for water to get in? I did notice the air box drain had a fair amount in it the first time I took it off. I don't think any got in the engine though. I had to have the carb cleaned, the jet was clogged, but it runs great and is making good power. The engine oil was ok, just nice and thick from not being changed in a while.

I guess I caught it in time. After the fluid changes, it ran much much smoother.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Just replace the fluid,run it a while and change it again to remove any water residue.Only way water is usually going to get in is through the breather hose! Sounds like its been swamped and you just need to do a good service from the front to the back! OPT

Old 11-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks. I turned it up on its side, and put a ton of fluid in. I then up righted it and let it drain. I hope that flushed it good. I think I have taken care of everything I can find. The only thing left is the front brake cables. They need lubed really good, they don't go back in that good. Do you have any other tips for me? I have changed the plug, and the fluids, greased it, and the air cleaner. Am I missing anything?

By the way, what is the best all around tires I can put on this. I have a few places its just not safe to ride with the turf tires that's on it now.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Front brakes have always been the weak link on the little ones,just lube em up the best you can.You can only do so much with the front drum brakes,the rear drum has the stopping power! As far as tires anything you can find with any kind of ***** on em are better than the turf tires. Not sure what kind of selection you can find aftermarket. Just try to keep it out of water! Stators don't like water and dirt either,bad design on air intake for the stator. I would remove the plastic cover and clean all around the flywheel area and try to keep it free from grass and dirt. OPT

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the tips. I will work on getting the cover off this week and get that taken care of. It runs too good, and for the price I got it for compared to a new one, I don't want let everything go bad.