Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hello from PA Newbie with Xplorer 400 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
gtp
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from PA Newbie with Xplorer 400 4x4

Hi all. I am in Greensburg PA I am a newbie on here but not to ATVs' and Motorcycles. I rebuild and tune all types of two strokes, lawnboys, saws, trimmer, bikes atvs as a hobby so naturally i was draw to the chance to get an older 400 2 stroke. I was blessed to find it at a great price and it was a 4x4.

I have almost finished rebuilding it new crank Wiseco piston overbore, new seals bearings and other supporting items (belt, plug, carb rebuild, plus, air filter gaskets and seals) axles, bearings and seals.

Can anyone recommend a wheel tire upgrade (size wise) as well as performance parts. I'd like to get 12" wheels with some great all purpose trail tires with some width and traction. what is a good package and where is the best spot to get the set up and perhaps some spacers?

Does anyone flip the front wheels to gain width in fron and do a spacer in the rear? If so which spacers and where do you find them?

I know RitterCycle is the place to go for go fast bits but unless I am mistaken today the website doesn't work? Is it www.rittercycle.com?

Hope to meet and chat with everyone on here!
George

pics..
Name:  xplorerworkinprogress.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  12.4 KB

Name:  400xplorer.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  9.8 KB

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  11.2 KB

Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

If you have gone so far as to replace the bearings and seals in the front hubs, be sure to re torque the bearings after 200 and 500 miles. The outboard hub/ Hilliard clutch, uses one nut to torque 4 bearings, so as they break in the hubs and axel seals take a beating. The hub only holds @ 150 ml of oil and if you lose this the bearings, armature and more go south quickly.
If your bearings look good, I'd just change the seals, check the sleeve for wear grooves, check the armature for wear grooves and magnetism.
Ken

Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM
gtp
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice Ken i'll check them again after a few rides. I was hoping to recieve a warmer welcome from the group but perhaps i need to be on here more. I can't wait to get a few rides in and begin modding it a bit. Guess i will put in a bunch of search time to locate hi-po parts!
Thanks again.
G

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ricks site worked fine for me off your link but heres another one.
Ritter Cycle Racing
exhaust, clutching and air flow for the easy power up graded and i think better reeds as well. depending ont he terrain your going to ride on is what you want for tires.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

This board does not seem to rack up a huge bunch of posts. I'm sure you will be able to find the info you want. Enjoy your new toy. My old 96 Sportsman has been a good bike and has done a lot of hard work. Not the lowest maintenance bike made, but they are pretty tough if you take care of them.
Ken

Old 02-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

For performance mods to the motor and exhaust if I were you I would try and find a race pipe like an old CPI, HPD or Aaen race pipe, not a trail or top end pipe, and have Rick Ritter port the cylinder to match the flow requirements of the pipe.Depending on how aggressive you have your cylinder ported I would go with either a 38mm TMX, 39mm PWK or 42mm TMX carb and an o-ringed Billet Aluminium Head from Hot Seat with a 12:1 dome.Next I would add an aftermarket reed cage with a spacer and a free flowing air filter with a modified air box.

For clutching I would go with a Team Roller Secondary or a roller conversion secondary.Your primary and secondary clutching and helix choice is going to depend on what size tires you go with, your porting and which pipe you go with.

You can always put Nitrous Oxide on it like I did on my Sport 400.These 2 stroke Polaris ATV's really respond well to a small shot of nitrous.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

GTP, I used to have an 01 Xplorer 400. I purchased a set-up that Rick Ritter put together for including a roller clutch, and clutch kit (primary and secondary springs and weights) performance pipe, jets, and I purchased a Scrambler 400 muffler and added a mounting bracket to make it fit like the Xplorer muffler. I got as far as putting the pipe on and my wife said it was too loud. I put the stock pipe back on and sold the quad. Everything is still boxed up in my garage.....send me a pm

Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
gtp
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by polarisstew
GTP, I used to have an 01 Xplorer 400. I purchased a set-up that Rick Ritter put together for including a roller clutch, and clutch kit (primary and secondary springs and weights) performance pipe, jets, and I purchased a Scrambler 400 muffler and added a mounting bracket to make it fit like the Xplorer muffler. I got as far as putting the pipe on and my wife said it was too loud. I put the stock pipe back on and sold the quad. Everything is still boxed up in my garage.....send me a pm
Thanks 'stew. I sent you a PM I am def interested in those parts!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

this forum the best for ol 2 smokes!! the "polaris" site treat us like a dose of the clap,..ive been ride'in 4wheelers,my '95 xplorer, an this site lil over a year! love my 400! ant had to much trouble with it but "old polaris tech" an rest the gang been great at helpin me keep mine running,might take a day or so to get some responses but thayll be the ones you want when thay get posted! dont see where performance mods are needed on a 400 but sounds like a hot runner you gonna have when your done! i dont know much bout all the tires but i love my bear claws! ride great on trails,.great in the mud sand an even climb a tree if you dont watch'um!!