Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How to check front diff fluid on 2011 - Present Value Model Sportsmans.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey OPT,

For 2011, they mounted the winch down low, right in front of the diff blocking the fill plug. No room to get a socket or bit in between them.

But they moved the rad up where the winch used to be.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry,forgot about that! Yea they did move the radiator up which helps on weeds,dirt,etc. 2011 was the last year models I worked on before I retired,after that I know nothing OPT

Old 03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Here's a handy ball end set that I used quite often on hard to reach metric socket head bolts.If you can see any socket head you can get it out at any angle. You can get em a lot cheaper than the Snap On set I have.They have them in short and long lengths.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Here's a handy ball end set that I used quite often on hard to reach metric socket head bolts.If you can see any socket head you can get it out at any angle. You can get em a lot cheaper than the Snap On set I have.They have them in short and long lengths.
I have one swivel extension like that, but want a set just like that. I really love the Matco site, and do not mind saving for better quality tools. Hate buying cheap stuff that breaks.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by WilliamBos
I have one swivel extension like that, but want a set just like that. I really love the Matco site, and do not mind saving for better quality tools. Hate buying cheap stuff that breaks.
Hard to break the habit of climbing on tool trucks once you ever start! It's addictive and costly,but better tools than from any box store. I learned that real quick when I first started and had to keep replacing Craftsman tools that wore out too quick or broke.They're good for the weekend mechanic,but don't hold up on a daily basis! Snap On, Mac, Matco,and Cornwell are about as good as they get imo if you don't get into their cheaper line that they all offer now on the trucks also (mostly Chinese). My son's gonna inherit a bunch of good tools and he knows it

Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Hard to break the habit of climbing on tool trucks once you ever start! It's addictive and costly,but better tools than from any box store. I learned that real quick when I first started and had to keep replacing Craftsman tools that wore out too quick or broke.They're good for the weekend mechanic,but don't hold up on a daily basis! Snap On, Mac, Matco,and Cornwell are about as good as they get imo if you don't get into their cheaper line that they all offer now on the trucks also (mostly Chinese). My son's gonna inherit a bunch of good tools and he knows it
How long were you working on ATV's OPT? That is something that I would like to do, just not sure they hire guys my age (40) as apprentices.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I was working on motorcycles when I was 18 as a hobby,worked almost 23 years as a tech.All it takes is a little tech school(not necessary at all shops) if you want to put in a couple years part time while working.
There's a good one in our area,Cedar Valley College that had courses if you wanted to hang up a diploma,plus all manufacturers have there own schools and update classes that are required to keep shops certified and then more diplomas(I've still got a stack of em) I did feel a little funny at first being in classes with 18 and 19 year old kids for two years when I was almost 38,this after working all day at the shop. Then all the early infield Polaris classes, then the two week refreshers every 2-3 years.I worked almost 20 years in another profession,before I had my mid life crisis and ruined a perfectly good hobby by making it a full time job Age really doesn't matter in most shops,there's still a lot of old geezers out there. Seems though at all the Polaris refresher classes I was almost always the oldest fart there until we started sending one of my young apprentices when it was time. It's never too late to change directions if you want to bad enough. I'm pushing 65 now and don't regret it! OPT

Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT. Going to check the local college and see what classes they have.