Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil tank problem 03 Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil tank problem 03 Sportsman 500

I have a customers bike here that is leaking oil from the drain plug. I tried to silicon it but still leaks. I think it is leaking where the brass threaded insert is pressed into the plastic tank.

So I order another tank and having problems with the oil screen fitting where it screws into the brass insert pressed into the tank. On the old tank it will thread into the bottom of the tank 2 turns (I can live with that).

On the new tank it will only thread on 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and gets real tight. If I try to thread it in 1 more turn I know I am going to break the brass insert from the new tank. I ordered another tank and same thing. So I ordered another screen fitting and same thing.

Now I don't trust this only screwing in only 3/4 of a turn on a customers $6000 bike. I asked the Polaris dealer to screw it in one more turn and if they break the tank then they pay for it and the response I got was "It's your job and your problem" WTF?? (No wonder everyone hates dealerships).

Anyway, anyone had this problem? I just don't trust the fitting screwing in only 3/4 of a turn. Thanks

Kel

Old 07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If I'm remembering correctly look closely at the threads on the fitting and see if they are slightly tapered toward the front.They will start easily then tighten pretty quick just like npt galvanized pipe threads. I've replaced several tanks myself and some fittings I couldn't tighten very far. Main thing is to either use teflon tape or liquid plumbers sealant around the threads and don't tighten too far as you will spin the tank insert as you mentioned. OPT

Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply OPT. Yes it is a pipe thread. The problem or concern I have is it only screws in 3/4 of a turn before it gets tight and oriented the proper way for the oil line. That's only 3/4 of a thread holding the fitting on. As you say, I don't dare to try to tighten it one more turn because I know I will break the tank.

I guess I will have to just use it the way it is. I just don't trust it though. Crappy manufacturing if you ask me. Should thread in 2-4 turns.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you possibly get a tap and tap more thread in there? 3/4 turn doesn't sound like much support. I have been retired for several years now but have been turning wrenches since the mid 50s so I have done Fleet Mechanical repairs for quite a few decades and I have found that now and then, even OEM parts need to be helped in some manner. And as time goes on, it seems as if quality control has kind of gone down the toilet resulting in more needed fixes on new and replacement items that shouldn't be required. Sorry about the little rant.

Fred