Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris reliability question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris reliability question

Ive always had Japanese 4X4 quads but really like the sportsman xp's. I know years ago Polaris had issues with the belt system and the front hubs etc. how are they now a days? How reliable is the power steering system? I don't particularly like the local dealership so hopefully if I buy one, I won't have to visit them for service. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hedgehog-

the new polaris xp's are very nice. a lot of thought and research went into the ergo's and the mechanics that seperate the xp's from the sportsmans and make the xp's a really fun atv to ride. every atv has its issues- the big difference is how the local dealer will treat you once (and you will) have a problem.

everyone has different expectations- I like the stability, comfort and solid feeling of the xp. I loved the narrow saddle (like a dirtbike)- but some people who are taller or heavier (like moose ) felt that the seat "pushed" them up on the saddle while going over the trails. So it would really be good to catch some seat time before plunking down $10k for one.

I had issues with the bushings and axles on my xp- but I bought a dealer demo unit and I think they used it to plow the parking lot and they drove it over tar 90% of the time. I had to replace the rear axles and every bushing in the suspension (like 50 of them) with only 300 miles on the atv!
The xp liked to be air born also- I'd hit some pretty good berms and caught some good air- and it didn't feel like an 800lb atv- it flew pretty straight and landed pretty softly for being a full size 4x4 atv.

personally- I feel polaris and can-am make the best atv's on the market- way ahead of any of the japanese atv's, especially in the features dept. I've ridden them all, and that's just my personal opinion.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm the Moose that Beergut mentioned in his slanderous but truthful way. I recently was in the market for a new quad after I abused my Sportsman X2 500 for over something like 3600 hard, harsh, New England terrain, miles. Had to replace a battery after 6 years which is about normal, a couple of bearings, and a couple of tie rod ends. Did I mention that I'm 6'3" and weigh about 350? I jumped that quad, rode in the winter in snow and ice, went through all but one massive mudhole, clawed my way up nasty rocky climbs, etc. Other than the battery I never really was let down other than a loose wire one time riding with Beergut. We were able to push the connector back together to get it going. Now, I'm riding a Can-Am. Yep, I like it. But, if the Polaris Touring or Sportsman X2 850 were a little different I wouldn't have hesitated to buy another Polaris. I only got the Can-Am for a couple reasons. They didn't have a new 850 X2 available, there isn't as much rack space when you have the passenger seat on the Touring as there is on the Can-Am Outlander, and the Touring seat is like a saddle that tends to push you forward. Not sure about the regular XP as far as the seat goes. Passenger isn't an issue. I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with the Polaris power steering. I have heard of issues with the pre-2012 Can-Ams power steering. I felt that the Polaris rode more comfortably than the Can-Am. And that was the Sportsman X2 that had a 400 lb. rated rear. The regular XPs and Sportsmans have a more plush suspension. Hope this helps with your decision making process.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

I have four Polaris units. It's been my experience that most models Polaris makes (be it a quad or Ranger) seem to have a couple of issues common to most of the units made. It's not that the units are overall bad, it's been my experience that Polaris doesn't quickly step up fix the issue unless there's big potential to lose more money due to future loss suits than stepping up and fixing the machines out of goodwill.

In today's information age people are quick to spread the bad news and Polaris blackens it's own eyes, thus making tens of thousands of guys like yourself gun shy. However, tens of thousands of people still purchase their product, due to other good things Polaris builds into their product, like the AWD system, the great ride and proprietary accessory system.

They probably have a figured out it's more cost effective to turnout a product with glitches that they don't stand behind (thus selling to fewer customers) than fixing all the units with glitches and converting tens of thousands of potential buyers like yourself into owners. IMO, it's a short term strategy. When the other companies completely close the innovation gap with Polaris AND along the way have a built a reputation for overall quality PLUS addressing flaws before word spreads in the form of disgruntled owners on forums like this.

In retrospect would I purchase my Polaris units again? Yes, but barely. In the next couple of years I'm buying another sport SXS and three more quads. Will they be Polaris? Not if the other brands continue to close that 'gap'. Good luck with your decision.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't buy one new without good dealer backup.

JF

Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I had a 2012 550 Touring EPS. I thought the engine and clutch were extremely noisy. The ADC worked less that 25% of the time. The 4-wd would stay locked and I had EPS issues with it. I put 1500 miles on it.

I also put about 1200 miles on a 2012 850 Touring EPS. The ADC on it worked less than 25% of the time too and sometimes the 4-wd didn't work in reverse. It was hard to start in cold weather too.

We have a dealer issue too. They spent over two weeks and rode the 550 23 miles and gave it back to us telling us there was nothing wrong with it so we never bothered taking the 850 in to get repaired. First steep hill the rear wheels locked up and we slid down the hill sideways - no ADC. I didn't care for Polaris' engine braking system.

Loved the Touring being either a 2-up or a single rider ATV. Having the option to take the passenger seat off and replacing it with a small storage box is great.

The added wheel base makes it one of the most stable ATVs on the market. I like the big floor boards but the left one doesn't keep your foot dry.

I worked both of these machines pretty hard including towing a trailer that probably weighed 800+ pounds through the mountains and never experienced a belt problem with either machine.

I alos felt the seat had a tendency to push me forward while riding and don't like how the handle bar hits me in the gut when turning sharp descending steep hills.

I don't care for the ergonomics of a Polaris - the Japanese have this mastered.

Living and riding where I do with so many great 50" trails there is no room to add aftermarket wheels - every set on the market will increase the width of these machines past 50". Not a big deal to me because I prefer OE wheels.

For me the power of the 850 was impressive and due to the noise of the machine I would never own a 550 but would consider an 850 if I really wanted/needed a 2-up.

I would never buy a new ATV without EPS.

I would never buy a Polaris without buying an extended warrantee.

Neither machine ever left me stranded.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Range Rover

I've put nearly 1,900 miles on my 850, riding some pretty harsh terrain. I have had no mechanical issues with it at all. Everything on it works as it is supposed to and the power steering is something I will never do without again.
I think that as far as reliability goes, all the different makes are on pretty even ground. Polaris is all I will buy as I think they have the best 4wd system, best ride and now the best power steering. Having put some 7,000 miles on Polaris atv's in the Rocky Mountains with no real problems, I'm sold on them.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not against Polaris, I've just never heard anything good about the dealer around here. The owner seemed very arrogant to me and I was looking to purchase. I can only imagine if I need work done. I'm looking at either Kawasaki or Yamaha because I've never had any problems with either one of them dealers and there a lot closer.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I cannot agree more.
Originally Posted by james feeney
I wouldn't buy one new without good dealer backup.

JF
cheap corsets and bustiers

Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Before you buy a Polaris make sure that the dealers technicians are Polaris Gold Certified by Polaris.

I spent a great deal of time last week here at the Rocky Mountain ATV Jamboree talking with Polaris reps and one of the most respected Polaris dealers - Triple S Polaris - technicians - a dealer here in Utah that works very closely with Polaris R&D team.

They taught me a lot and I really believe that had they been the dealer we delt with rather than the local dealer (they have a dealer less than 100 miles from me) the issues with these two machines would have been resolved.

Polaris is the only line of machines they sell.

Quick Reply: Polaris reliability question