Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris ho 500 starter will not start it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris ho 500 starter will not start it?

I am stumped had a bad battery replaced it, starter solenoid was replaced and a new starter .The bike will start on the pull cord runs great charges the battery no problem. I am thinking I should try another starter solenoid the old starter was locked solid an had to be replaced and the the battery had to be replaced. Is there something I am missing??? There must be a broken wire some place??? If anyone has any ideas let me know. I've been on this site before and have saved money and repaired my machine myself and if there is a right place to ask this is it.If anyone has an idea let me know.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Had one member that went through the same problem. His cure was to sligly move the pulse coil closer to the flywheel. He could rope start it,but couldn't elec start until he did this. Not really any room for adjustment,but you can "Lightly" tap the pulse coil a bit closer to the flywheel. OPT

Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

do you mean it won't even turn the engine over or it turns over and won't start the bike with the starter?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I had the electric starter turn the motor over put not start it but the pull rope started it right up.

The magnetic face of pulse coil had metal filings stuck to it ,I cleaned it off and slightly closed the gap to the flywheel and it fixed it right up.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This seems like it's starting to be common problem on the 500 from either rope damage, trash,plus sometimes just from age.This member had the same problem,could rope start,but not electric start,but was caused from recoil damage. http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...ml#post3155476
OPT

Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Also lots of crud get past the rope hole of the recoil cover because the pull rope handle is not a prefect seal. Thats why a silicon the rope handle in place.

Lots of expensive parts down that rope hole, like Pluses coil ,flywheel and Stator. None of which like bathing in dirty warter.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Trailblazer

That's why I removed the cover to clean up the pull cord so it would return properly and yes I should have glued the pull cord .I have glued it in the past but it slipped my mined this time .This pulse coil should I replace it or make the mounting holes a bit bigger so I can move it closer I know where the location of pulse coil is sucks I have take it apart again.Before I do this I am going to jump the pins on the starter solinoid .Just to see .In my manual it indicates the pulse coil as you call it as the trigger coil #3 under Ignition system. I will have a look at it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Check the face of the pulse(trigger coil) for any trash as mentioned. If it's clean and the flywheel doesn't have any rust/corrosion on the out side,just "lightly" tap the bracket itself inward(which will move the pulse coil too) just a little toward the flywheel.There's really no room on the plastic pulse coil to enlarge the holes without taking a chance on cracking the mounting tab. I had to do this on an old 500 6x6 years ago when I had the same problem on not being able to electric start,but it would recoil start.I just gave it a little tap inward. Then you can seal the recoil handle if you wish,plus make sure you run a good bead of rtv(Yamabond or Three Bond) around the cover itself. Hopefully this will solve the problem.If not then you need to check the resistance on the white and white/red pulse coil wires.I believe it's 97 ohms on this model.If too far out of spec it may need to be replaced. OPT

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Just bent the trigger coil closer to the flywheel its bracket is thin and bends easy.

Sand the contact point of the fly wheel as well while your there.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for helping everyone went out to the garage and had another crack at it. I decide to try the starter solenoid by jumping the pins and it fired right up the starter solenoid is new .If it fired up by jumping the pins on the starter solinoid then the trigger coil is ok. Is this correct ? If it's the starter solenoid then I will run to the dealer and get another one.I appreciate the help if nothing else I am learning lol a few things...

Quick Reply: 2002 Polaris ho 500 starter will not start it?