Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 touring - ricochet/plow conflict?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mcordani
I also called the ATV superstore and they reccomended the Eagle Mid Mount setup for the 550. It is supposedly stronger than the front mount, as they have seen some front mount frame damage from front mount plows on this ATV.

Also the universal mounting plate can bolt up over the ricochet skids.

I am just a little concerned I will have plow lift height problems with mid mount. Anyone know how high you can lift a mid mount plow?
I got about 14" of clearance after I put on the limiting switch that shuts off the winch when it's lifted so it doesn't damage the quad or winch line. Maybe had 15" before. That's on a Can-Am Outlander with probably about the same clearance as the XP. My plow mount hooks up to a pair of pins mounted on a plate flush with the skid plates I put on. It's just behind the front tires. So any mid-mount would be around the same if the plow frame has straight tubes. If the plow frame has tubes that angle up once you get beyond the front tires you might get a little more lift.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I got about 14" of clearance after I put on the limiting switch that shuts off the winch when it's lifted so it doesn't damage the quad or winch line. Maybe had 15" before. That's on a Can-Am Outlander with probably about the same clearance as the XP. My plow mount hooks up to a pair of pins mounted on a plate flush with the skid plates I put on. It's just behind the front tires. So any mid-mount would be around the same if the plow frame has straight tubes. If the plow frame has tubes that angle up once you get beyond the front tires you might get a little more lift.
Thanks for the info Moose. What is a limiting switch? Hope that isn't a stupid question. I know I have one of those rubber stoppers to protect the fairlead.

Do you have an Eagle plow setup? Their stuff looks well built and is American made which is a plus.

14" is pretty good plow height I guess. Is there a reason people are so concerned about plow lift height? I would just be worried taking out of my shed, as the ramp is on the steep side and I wouldn't want to bottom out the plow at the bottom of the ramp. Can't imagine that would happen with it up 14".

Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mcordani
Thanks for the info Moose. What is a limiting switch? Hope that isn't a stupid question. I know I have one of those rubber stoppers to protect the fairlead.

Do you have an Eagle plow setup? Their stuff looks well built and is American made which is a plus.

14" is pretty good plow height I guess. Is there a reason people are so concerned about plow lift height? I would just be worried taking out of my shed, as the ramp is on the steep side and I wouldn't want to bottom out the plow at the bottom of the ramp. Can't imagine that would happen with it up 14".
It's not an Eagle plow kit. It came with the Can-Am plow kit. The plow frame has a super magnet mounted to it. You put a magnetic switch on the top of a skid plate where the magnet would make contact. It's hooked up to the winch electrical block. When the switch gets tripped by the magnet when you lift the blade it shuts power off to the winch. It's a great time saver in that you don't have to guess if you've got it all the way up and you aren't stressed with the thought of bending or breaking something.

The instances when you want a little more lift are when you have the blade lifted a bit to push the top of a snow pile over or when loading and unloading. If you have the blade all the way up when you're knocking the snowdrifts down you can end up not being able to back up if the plow sinks into the snow. Had to dig out one time for that.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to find a picture of a mid mount plow raised up. It is hard to picture 14 or so inchs of clearance.

The connection for the Eagle front mount just doesn't look that strong for the 550 unfortunately. Too bad as I would rather have that setup. More compact for storage and good lift height.

Only other option is the Warn front mount, but from what I hear the Warn stuff isn't made as well as the Eagle stuff. The Warn front mount for the 550 actually looks better designed than the Eagle 550 front mount.

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone here will have plow experience with the 550.