Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Driven clutch buttons broke...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driven clutch buttons broke...

Well it been awhile since I been on the forum, However using my Daughter laptop as my old desk top pc running slow, so I will be getting my new pc soon. Enough of that. Took my Secondary clutch off(driven as ATV terms use) and found two of the three torx broken off my button guides from my 2006 Sportsman 450.what is the 4 th one for? Any tips for trying to get these out? What else shpuld I replace while I this far into the repair..Thanks.....Caper.......

Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If yours is like most of the ones I've gotten a hold of might be better to replace it than to try to tap out these broken screws in this soft metal. I've tried several times and even tapped out the holes to accommodate larger metric screws and enlarged the ramp button holes so they could sit recessed like the original torque screws did. Didn't hold up too long and I ended up ordering a new clutch. After this one I quit trying to save em.. Cycle Parts Warehouse usually is the cheapest on oem parts,but you can check around.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2006&fveh=5680 Yea,it has been awhile since we've heard from you!!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Really you mean 400- 500 Canadian dollars to replace the driven clutch or just the one piece the buttons are broke off in? All the snowmobile ones I did in my Yamaha's sleds were not set in with screws but just had a insert to place them in. I have a full tool and die/machine shop at work with CNC tooling machines I will see what the guys say to get them out of there...Thanks....OPT....Anybody have a driven clutch for sale in new condition and button FULLY in place...LOL...Caper.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If you have better tools than we had at our shop you might have better luck,but if you get off center just a tad and enlarge the holes you might as well junk the clutch as the torque screws wont tighten securely.That's why I ended up trying to retap the threads.Let us know if you are able to get em out ok.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM

ok I keep you posted., I will try and work at it next week ,as holidays start with family this week-end....Caper.........Thanks again, I better check the wife's 450 also...

Old 07-01-2016, 01:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am replacing my driven clutch buttons...does anyone know how tight to make torx screws?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you have better tools than we had at our shop you might have better luck,but if you get off center just a tad and enlarge the holes you might as well junk the clutch as the torque screws wont tighten securely.That's why I ended up trying to retap the threads.Let us know if you are able to get em out ok.
old polaris tech, I am replacing my driven clutch buttons... how tight do I make torx screws?

Old 07-01-2016, 03:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just snug down the torx screws hand tight and don't use loctite as it makes it a pain if you ever have to remove the screws to replace ramp buttons again.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Just a quick question for old polaris tech

Old polaris tech I saw something you wrote about adding shim behind driven clutch and where to buy ...you may of said Ace Hardware...What type and size should I look for ? I am putting on a new polaris belt. Also you had mentioned that eyeballing alignment was easier than using an alignment tool. What should I look for when doing this? I do have the manual and at times a little confusing...thanks

Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by vryder64
Old polaris tech I saw something you wrote about adding shim behind driven clutch and where to buy ...you may of said Ace Hardware...What type and size should I look for ? I am putting on a new polaris belt. Also you had mentioned that eyeballing alignment was easier than using an alignment tool. What should I look for when doing this? I do have the manual and at times a little confusing...thanks
If you need to have the rear clutch out a little to align the front and rear clutches,just get the spacer washer behind the driven clutch and match it up at at any hardware store. Get a couple or so to have on hand.