Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scram. 400 2x4 or 400 EX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2001, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a deposit of $2000 on a 400 Scram. But before I make my final answer, I want to ask, if you have $5500 in your pocket what would you do? I can get the Scram. for $4725 otd that leaves me $775 for hop ups. I can get the EX for $5300 leaving me $200, what to do!!!!

Old 04-03-2001, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

w/ that much money left over on the scrambler, u could make it to where it would spank a 400ex! I would go w/ the srambler.

Old 04-03-2001, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

I would get the 400ex. I just traded my scrambler for one. There is no comparison. Stock for stock the 400ex isnt even in the same class as the scrambler. The scrambler is just too heavy. The scramblers suspention is a joke compared to the 400ex. The $700 in mods that you could do to the scrambler may make it faster in a straight line on flat ground but how many times are you going to drag race. You can not do enough mods to the suspention to get it in line with the 400ex. in my mind if you are after sport than there is no polaris as of yet worth looking at. There is only two advantages to the scrambler. One is the auto trany and it is onnly an advantage if you cant shift. The other is revers, And I have not missed that as of yet. You may have more invested right up front but you will definetly have a better machine. Get the 400ex and youl love it.

Old 04-03-2001, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

I hate to admit it, but 99500Scrambler is right. I have just recently arrived at the same conclusion myself. I just sold my RCR'ed 99 Scrambler 400 to get a Raptor or a new Honda 650EX if it comes out in time. The Scrambler is a great dual purpose ATV, but it is no where near being a sport ATV. If you like the handling of a sport ATV, go for the Honda 400ex if you can live without reverse (I can't). If you want a good ATV that goes ok in snow, mud, fairly spirited (not fast) trail riding, then the Scrambler is a great choice. It only took one ride on my son's 300ex (with reverse), and then a test ride on a new 400ex for me to decide to sell my RCR kitted Scrambler 400. My modded Scrambler has more power than the Honda, but has no chance of keeping up in the woods. What also helped me make this decision it the fact that my 300ex has been able to go everywhere that my Scrambler goes in the snow. when the 300ex gets stuck, so does the Scrambler, and the 300ex a MUCH easier to pick up and move.
Good luck,
Lorrin Lee

Old 04-04-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

I may get toasted for this but they are right. If you want a true sports quad for very sporty riding...get the 400ex. I find the Scrambler in the 4x4 version to be a great versatile trail quad. I have a blast every time on mine. One of the funnest all-around ATV's. But it is not up to par with the 400ex for jumps, whoops, and really agressive riding. If mine were not a 4x4 I would not have even considered it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 04-04-2001, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

The 2x4 really is a plush woods machine, Its suited for larger riders and has decent power in stock form, The main reason I bought mine was the over-all ease, The auto tranny and the reverse is just to damn comfortable to give up. I am by no means a racer or claim to be but with about $500 in some mods like a pipe & silencer and a clutch kit and a reed cage you will have a nice machine that has plenty of power in the woods and not a bad field racer. My previous bikes were a Trailblazer and a Banshee, The Blazer was just to slow in my opinion but Still a decent bike for the money, The Banshee had killer power but I just never felt confortable riding it, The Scrambler for me has been a happy medium and Overall a very good purchase, Im not particularly brand loyal I just suggest You weigh the features and go from there, Great suspension and handling against Good power, Reverse and overall ease of use

Old 04-04-2001, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

I would recommend that you try to spend a little time on each machine. I went through the same decision when I chose my Scrambler. It was the better choice for me. The honda just felt to small and uncomfortable. Maby if you ride with pro level racers in tight trials type ridding areas its a better choice, but if your rideing is going to be on fire roads and old logging roads, the Scrambler might be a better choice. When you throw in the fact that you can add about as much power as your wallet will allow, the scrambler looks pretty good. But this is obviously my opinion and not yours. Best thing to do is try them out because if you make a puchase that you regret, that payment each month will SUCK.

Old 04-04-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

I would recommend that you try to spend a little time on each machine. I went through the same decision when I chose my Scrambler. It was the better choice for me. The honda just felt to small and uncomfortable. Maby if you ride with pro level racers in tight trials type ridding areas its a better choice, but if your rideing is going to be on fire roads and old logging roads, the Scrambler might be a better choice. When you throw in the fact that you can add about as much power as your wallet will allow, the scrambler looks pretty good. But this is obviously my opinion and not yours. Best thing to do is try them out because if you make a puchase that you regret, that payment each month will SUCK.

Old 04-04-2001, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider