Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997 Polaris 500 Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Polaris 500 Sportsman

Gents

I am helping my father-in-law out with his 1997 Sportsman 500 4x4. We don't know a lot about the history other than it appears to be a low/med hour unit that is mostly stock and it pretty solid. We bought it cheap but it needed a couple of items. Most of it we've gotten repaired but it's got two issues that I am trying to solve.

First, it had the typical plugged pilot syndrome. I took the carb apart and sure enough the pilot was plugged. I got the carb all cleaned out, very very cleaned out and put it back together. I've done my fair share of carbs and the carb seemed to be in good condition and clean. As soon as I put it back together it seemed to be fixed. It idled great, starts right away, and carbs good from close to about half throttle. Now, however, when I start to open it up it just falls on it's face and kinda bogs.. no power.

Things I know. Spark plug and fuel are good. Air filter clean. No apparent leaks around the carb, boots, etc. I've read some information about late 90's 500s having cam issues. I am starting to wonder if this is the problem?

Secondly, the front right was hit by another 4-wheeler. It majorly bent the rim. I got that replaced. Now, when you drive it on the pavement it has death wobble. It's almost undriveable on the pavement. When you go to grass or dirt, it's better, or at least usable. I'm thinking the axle is bent, causing constant toe in / toe out. When I jack it up and spin the wheel it doesn't seem too bad. The front end has a little looseness to it, but I've seen worse.

That spindle is leaking oil on the inside of the hub. This also makes me believe it's the axle that's bent.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Cleaning a carb may not always solve problems. That's why if a carb comes off I installed a new carb kit or at least a needle and seat,then you can at least eliminate any doubts about a carb problem.Plus I hated doing things twice.. You can also check that it's getting a good supply of fuel from the pump. Just pull the fuel line and crank the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel.Could be a bent spindle on the end of the cv as I've seen them hit hard enough to do this. Plus if it's leaking either it's because of this or the hub or strut seals need replacing. You can check a front end real easy on toe out. Just have someone hold the bars perfectly straight and look at each front tire versus the rear tire. Should be fairly straight or just slightly toed out. Plus using a good straight edge such as a straight 1/4 ,2x4 or metal stud while someone's holding the bars straight makes alignment easy. Front tires should just toe out about 3/8" or so. Yes cam problem could be causing it to fall on it's face. Just check the exhaust lobe and if it's ok,then make sure the valves are set at .006 intake and exhaust.Plus same thing for the reverse limiter modules. They can limit in forward when they start to act up also. Just pull the black wire from the limiter and see if it helps.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updates:

I disconnected the reverse limiter but have not had a chance to drive it.

Because I found that the right front lower a-arm was severly bent. This is due to a collision late last year I'm sure. The rod inside the a-arm was bent, making the distance from one front wheel to the rear wheel 2" shorter than the other side!! Hopefully this is was is causing the wierd wobbling/driving issue. New a-arm is in today, so I'll give it a shot.

Hopefully this fixes it as the spindle/wheel/shaft on that side seams to be ok!