Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

01 trail boss 325

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 trail boss 325

Picked up this 4 wheeler for a project since its to cold to do much else on my days off.

The guy said it started acting like it was not getting fuel, so he trashed the cdi thinking it was the cause and realized a new one cost to much.. I Have since replaced every fuel line, bought working used CDI.

Issues I'm having:
1. I forgot how the fuel lines hooked up.. I had this diagram sent to me and i hooked up all the lines like in the image (guy said hook rear tank line to reserve). The only thing that happened was fuel went to petcock, but that's where it stopped and just leaked at fuel petcock. No fuel went out from that point on(nothing getting to carb).
Name:  MV7carb.jpg
Views: 33142
Size:  78.3 KB

2. Not sure if its getting spark, hard to test with just the pull start.

Any tips would be great.

Name:  IMG_0535.jpg
Views: 6163
Size:  109.5 KB

That's actually carb cleaner i dumped in, not gas.
Name:  IMG_0536.jpg
Views: 5898
Size:  96.4 KB

Completely clogged
Name:  IMG_0537.jpg
Views: 5699
Size:  102.6 KB

... yeah...
Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 5929
Size:  133.3 KB

Carb is all cleaned and ready to go now.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not uncommon for the fuel valve itself to be stopped up especially by looking at the condition of the carb. If you've cleaned the carb,fuel tank filters(nasty) have the lines routed correctly,the valve could be the problem. OR can be a fuel pump problem also. Take a Mityvac to the impulse(vaccum) line at the carb,turn the fuel valve on,pull the line at the carb and give the Mityvac a good pumping. If fuel doesn't come from the carb hose,then you may need a fuel pump along with a new fuel valve to replace the leaking one.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus if you've just cleaned the carb and still have problems,install a new carb kit.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Trail-Boss-325-2000-2002-Carb-Carburetor-Rebuild-Kit-Repairs-3131147-522-/231445074505?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e3339249&vxp=mtr On checking for spark just lean the plug up against the cylinder and crank the engine over. You can tell pretty quick if it sparks or not.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Not uncommon for the fuel valve itself to be stopped up especially by looking at the condition of the carb. If you've cleaned the carb,fuel tank filters(nasty) have the lines routed correctly,the valve could be the problem. OR can be a fuel pump problem also. Take a Mityvac to the impulse(vaccum) line at the carb,turn the fuel valve on,pull the line at the carb and give the Mityvac a good pumping. If fuel doesn't come from the carb hose,then you may need a fuel pump along with a new fuel valve to replace the leaking one.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus if you've just cleaned the carb and still have problems,install a new carb kit.Polaris Trail Boss 325 2000 2002 Carb Carburetor Rebuild Kit Repairs 3131147 522 | eBay
Thanks for the reply. I think the fuel line routing must be different as in the image i was provided above. I will continue searching, but fuel line diagrams seem to be hard to come by on the web. I just ordered a new fuel valve, and will look at buying a new fuel pump after testing the vacuum as you suggested.

Yes, the carbs where pretty nasty, but not as bad as i expected. Cleaned tank, carbs, and replaced all fuel lines with new one. To bad i forgot to take a picture of the fuel line routing be for disconnecting, lesson learned.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes this looks like for a different machine as it shows front and rear fuel tanks.. but the hook up is correct as far as the fuel pump and carb lines go.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes this looks like for a different machine as it shows front and rear fuel tanks.. but the hook up is correct as far as the fuel pump and carb lines go.
Yes sir, your correct. I tested the pump like you suggested and its in working order which shocked me a little. I took the fuel valve off and sprayed carb cleaner through it, it was clean. I re-installed it all back together, and fuel is flowing as it should now to the carb. I think there might have been a blockage in the pump that cleared out from the new gas.

The new issue is I'm positive there is no spark. I cant test spark the old fashion way with spark plug since I have no one here to watch it as i pull start. How would you suggest testing it?. The coils are cheap, but hate to toss parts at it without knowing the exact issue. Surely it does not need a charged battery for the coils to work(current one does not hold charge).

Old 02-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best to have the schematic and troubleshooting guide in the manual. Fairly easy to check resistance on the stator and coil to see if they're the problem or something else.Plus good for service and other repairs. Hard to find a cheap one for the first year model 325,but the 2002 didn't change that much. 2002 Polaris Trail Boss 325 Service Manual PDF Download Plus one of the simple things that can kill spark is if the throttle slack is too much that allow the etc contacts to touch. Make sure you have no more than 1/8" slack at the thumb lever.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I downloaded that service manual, should come in handy. Throttle slack is good as far as i could tell, hardly any slack to it.

I just wonder if the split fire spark plug that last owner installed could be the issue, it does not look as if its ever fired. None the less, i will start testing the ignition system when all this cold weather moves out.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

My stick with the NGK BKR6ES spark plug that came with it from the factory.There's no better spark plug around.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

My stick with the NGK BKR6ES spark plug that came with it from the factory.There's no better spark plug around.
Ok, I never thought these split fire where worth anything, was shocked to find it in the 4 wheeler. I'll get out there and do some more testing on the ignition system after all this 11" of snow goes away.. Still coming down, and their calling for more

Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

OPT is right about the plug. Put one in my 2000 Trail Boss and the only thing it did was make my wallet lighter.

Quick Reply: 01 trail boss 325