Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

anybody know iowa law?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy anybody know iowa law?

was riding on private property that i had permission to ride on, cop stopped to talk to me and i ended up getting a driving on a suspended license and no insurance tickets...this is the first time ive heard that i needed a license and insurance..anybody have experience with this??

Old 04-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about your state(I would ask your local town office or call the state and find out) but up here in Maine we do not need a license or insurance on our atv's. It stands to reason if you needed insurance you would have to show proof of insurance when you registered it like we do for cars if it was a law. But again that's up here.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by stendori
I don't know about your state(I would ask your local town office or call the state and find out) but up here in Maine we do not need a license or insurance on our atv's. It stands to reason if you needed insurance you would have to show proof of insurance when you registered it like we do for cars if it was a law. But again that's up here.
my thoughts exactly, it doesnt say anything about license or insurance in the DNR guide book that i can find and when i registered they didnt ask...there are 2 DNR officers in my county and i called both, 1 said no i dont need license and insurance and the other says i do lol WTF!

guess all i can do is go to court in the morning and plead not guilty.. this sucks..

Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

these are the documents im going to fight with

Name:  atvsafety.gov_zps9j8cqwd2.png
Views: 46
Size:  242.8 KB

Name:  lawsnregspg1.7_zpshabtlrlm.png
Views: 36
Size:  110.4 KB

Name:  lawsnregspg1.8_zpsbo34p9xp.png
Views: 31
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  lawsnregspg1.13_zpshi0d8wui.png
Views: 61
Size:  116.4 KB

Name:  stateatvinfo_zpsikiqo5iy.png
Views: 90
Size:  151.4 KB

Old 04-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like the only way to get around the L/R is to put on a pair of overalls,a straw hat and tell em you're a farmer.. OR move to another state.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

by L/R im guessing you are meaning license restriction, and im not seeing where it says anything about needing a license, i mean hell, it says a 12 yr old can ride an atv with just a safety course

Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I was mainly looking at the first line under state law,but it said registered and titled except for ag use. Different than License and registration. Still think I'd pack up and move with all the restrictions that Iowa has on off road vehicles.

Trending Topics

Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I was mainly looking at the first line under state law,but it said registered and titled except for ag use. Different than License and registration. Still think I'd pack up and move with all the restrictions that Iowa has on off road vehicles.
its titled and registered, if they screw me on this ill just have to get a truck and drive hours to a state atv park or somethin...just ridiculous, and frustrating

Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you referring to you drivers license suspended ? Almost all states have laws that prohibit operating any motorized vehicle { boats , atvs , etc } if you have a suspended license , why is your license suspended ?

Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider

naw, never needed a license to drive a boat, just needs to be registered...and an atv can ride on private property without a license..i was presented with what i was charged with today and the first appearance judge laughed and said hes never heard of needing a license for an atv on private property....the arresting officer assumed i took a roadway which is why i got the driving on a suspended(cant drive on a roadway with suspended)...i have documents showing i was never "on the roadway"

why my license is suspended is irrelevant...

Name:  5d83d813-6bc0-4bfa-bf9c-88d970530bcc_zpsr9pxdykf.png
Views: 92
Size:  1.07 MB

Name:  IC321I.10_zpsg7okuksk.png
Views: 76
Size:  190.8 KB

Quick Reply: anybody know iowa law?