Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 sportsman Hilliard Clutch grabbing in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsman40002
I did not replace the coil and sleeve on that side, I replaced the coil and sleeve on the left side. It pulls to the right in AWD, only in reverse on the ground. Will not act up with all four wheels off the ground and putting pressure on each wheel. works fine. Just baffled at how it looks great inside everything, but will only act up in reverse.
Then I'd replace the armature plate on that side as well if you haven't done so along with possibly replacing the helix garter spring and checking for any burrs on the roller cage fingers that could be causing the bearings not to release from the hub while in reverse. I guess you're using Polaris Demand Drive fluid also,plus hub nuts are torqued no more than 12 foot pounds. Has to be something simple causing the hub to lock in reverse.May come down to having to replace the coil and sleeve on the right side also to make everything jive right. Even though everything looks good,looks can be deceiving on this system.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Then I'd replace the armature plate on that side as well if you haven't done so along with possibly replacing the helix garter spring and checking for any burrs on the roller cage fingers that could be causing the bearings not to release from the hub while in reverse. I guess you're using Polaris Demand Drive fluid also,plus hub nuts are torqued no more than 12 foot pounds. Has to be something simple causing the hub to lock in reverse.May come down to having to replace the coil and sleeve on the right side also to make everything jive right. Even though everything looks good,looks can be deceiving on this system.
I replaced the springs and armature plates on both sides, I'm going to inspect the Hilliard clutch and bearings real good again. After that , I'll probably order the coil and sleeve on the right side.
Very frustrating being it only happens when you use AWD in reverse, may try swapping hubs and or Hilliard clutches from left to right to see if problem moves, and yes, I use only Polaris fluids.
Thanks for helping work through this.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old Polaris Tech, if it pulls the handle bar in to you on the right when in reverse, with the over ride held down in AWD, would you think that the left front wheel was not pulling and the right is? Or would it not pull, and maybe something else is grabbing ?

Old 03-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

One way to tell is to jack up all 4 tires and see if the left side is engaging properly in reverse,awd on,over ride button engaged.. Very well could be the left side you replaced the sleeve on is the problem.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had it up off all fours and one of my boys on it, and it worked great on both wheels, I even put a board against each front wheel, and it never missed a beat.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by sportsman40002
I have had it up off all fours and one of my boys on it, and it worked great on both wheels, I even put a board against each front wheel, and it never missed a beat.
Well then about the only thing I can think of if it works with no load up in the air,forward and reverse,back up against a post or tree and see if the right side only still engages and the bars pull to the right while in reverse. If so,then still sounds like you have a problem in the left hub.Check magnetic pull of the armature plate against the sleeve,plus ohm out the coil. Should be around 25 ohms or so.Recheck that the sleeve face and inner pole are even flush with each other. Again even with a new armature plate and hilliard garter spring,new seal sleeve and coil,somethings keeping it from engaging under a load. Don't over look the inside of the hub itself for any wear or damage that could affect awd engagement or again the hilliard itself. One last thing if everything checks out it's possible that in reverse you may have an erratic ground to the left side when you push the over ride button not allowing it to engage. Running a larger common ground for the hub coils could eliminate that as a problem. Same as what a lot have people have done on the 500.