Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Santa's coming down the chimney on a wire rope

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-1999 | 09:58 AM
|
Pro Rider

Hi all,

I am almost positive Santa is delivering a winch for Christmas. After repeated trips to the local K-mart (thanks, to someone on this forum), I believe I've convinced Santa's number 1 Elf that a Superwinch T1500 would be the perfect gift.

I've hesitated on getting one, because I like the ability to climb an obstacle without worry of snagging or scraping. Lately though, I've come to the realization that a winch is necessary for my riding style.

My problem; I WANT IT ALL!!

To make a short story long. HeHe I need advice on a mount that will minimize the loss of angle of attack. Something high and tight. I'm not familiar with the different mounts available, so if anyone has any recomendations, I would be happy to hear them.

BTW, my quad is a Polaris Xpediton. I'm told it's the same chassis as the Magnum.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Goodnight.

Brian

Old 12-22-1999 | 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Brian,

In the latest issue of Dirt Wheels p138 there is an ad for a Hitch Hopper. It allows you to relocate your winch from the front to the back of the quad with only one pin. I guess its something like a class 2 trailer hitch. It looks like it would allow you to carry it on the rear and move it to the front when needed.

They may have it on the site. www.fayemyers.com

Loyal

Old 12-22-1999 | 12:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Brian, I bought my winch when I bought my epedition and asked them to mount it. I also bought the front bumper. I bought the 2 round
bar kind of bumper. I was suposed to mount the bumper my self. When I picked up my atv they had decided that the winch and bumper needed to be mounted together at the same time and as they said, it was not easy to mount. I store my atv 150 miles north of where I live at my dads house, as that is where I use my atv. Any way, If I remember right. The winch is mounted pretty high up and the winch cable guide is between the 2 bars of the bumper. It does not get in my way
so far, as the bumper slides off any thing I run into. My biggest worry now which I will address this spring. Is there is no pertection for the raidiator. I am hoping polaris sells something that I can mount on to protect it. I do think about that when Im in the woods. The dealer was nice enough not to charge me any extra for mounting the front
bumper for me..

rangerchet, polaris y2k xpedition 425cc

Old 12-22-1999 | 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

rangerchet,
If you dont protect the radiator, at least be careful of dead fallen trees. 489$ for repairs(250 deductable if you have ins) to replace radiator, shroud, and other items around radiator.

dusty,
Are you gettin a winch at K-Mart? If so,how much?(I mean, see if Santa leaves the receipt

------------------
Ronnie Crecelius Xpedition 425

Old 12-23-1999 | 06:39 AM
|
Pro Rider

the T1500 superwinch is on sale at K-mart for $129

Brian

Old 12-23-1999 | 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

***** $489.00 - OUCH !
Ya know, If each of us bought our atv all over again. Part by part, I bet we would end up paying 50 thousand for our machines...

Lets get radiator protection, fast!!!

Old 12-23-1999 | 07:05 PM
Range Rover

The only tip I can give you is, don't mount anything but a Warn 2500. I've seen all other winches fail miserably, especially Super winches. I'm not trying to be an ***, but leave it on the shelf. You get what you pay for goes double for winches. I would rather have a good rope than a $125 winch

Old 12-24-1999 | 09:28 AM
|
Pro Rider

Sportkod,

While I appreciate your response, I have to disagree with your contention that the superwinch isn't any good. I've seen various models fail to perform on occasion, but in my opinion not due to the winch itself.
A riding partner has transplanted the same t1500 on 3 different quads (currently an RSE Sportsman), and it has performed flawlessly.
I'm sure it has it's limitations, but I have yet to see them. Not trying to say this winch is for everyone, however for the price, I can afford to get that good rope, good rigging, and peace of mind.
I'd Still like to get some opinions on mounts. Not sure i have much choice now though. I think that big box in the corner is the Polaris flat winch bumper. My bad

Brian

Old 12-24-1999 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

GO TO: http://www.hoppermotorsports.com/

They have an awesome mount that allows you to move the winch for better approach and departure angles.

Old 12-24-1999 | 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Dusty-I have my winch mounted on top of my front rack and inside of a basket that is mounted to my rack. The roller fairlead is mounted on the front of the rack. It does not impede my approach or depature angles. It is also high and dry from water and mud. I did not like the mounts under the front "hood" or fender as it allows your winch to be constantly bathed in mud and water and when you are stuck and water is up to the headlights, you cannot even see your winch, which means it must be submerged under water. I can lean forward and get to my hook and toss it to someone else and reach my control, that is on a piece of steel protruding between the handlebars, and never have to get off my atv. With a couple of bungees, you can carry your tree saver, tow strap, ****** block, etc. in the basket and not lose them on every bump. Hope that helps. Any winch that you get is better than no winch. Warn, Superwinch, Rule, etc. all make good products. If you ever stall your winch on a pull, let it rest. If you just stay on it, you can burn up any motor. If the motor is too hot to leave your hand on, let it cool. Use a ****** block. All winch motors are for "intermittent" use.