Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

starter for xplorer, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My starter quit working on my xplorer 400. I am thinking about taking it off and cleaning it out. Has anyone done this before? Do they make a rebuild kit for these? Where is the cheapest place to buy a starter? The dealership wants 220 for a new one. I am getting tired of pull starting my bike. Has so much compression it rips my arm off sometimes. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2001, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer

before it went out did it make a clickin sound when u hit the "start" button?mine does this and i want to know what it is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

The infamous Polaris starter click/thwack can be caused by a few things.

1. inadequate lubrication on the starter drive (Starter drag or the farting noises from the starter are caused by a lack of lubrication. Polaris makes a special grease for this. )

2. low battery voltage and cranking amps.

3. mud accumlation in the starter housing and on the starter drive.

4. burned out brushes/scored armature within the starter

The starters are rebuildable and the brushes are available at your dealer

The trick is getting the old starter off and on. The easiest way is to remove the driven clutch pulley and attack it that way. Otherwise you can spend hours trying to get at the bolts up underneath. Take a look at yours. It can be done without pulling the Driven Clutch but it is difficult.

Once you finally get it all apart and repair the brushes you will want to spread RTV silicone on all joints and gasketed areas to prevent the ever present water seepage. Many folks fail to drain their starters after mudding or submarine riding and premature starter failure is the result, as the starter is one of the first things to be submerged on this model once you encounter water above the floorboards.

(Most Fuji 400 owners are in denial over this deficiency.)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Zen and the art of 400 2 stroke maintenance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

Thor, thanks for the help. I have been draining the starter since i have had it but i have been taking out the wrong bolt. When i took out the bolt the last time water came out. The starter worked for awhile after that and then finally quit. It just clicks now. I have replaced the solenoid and it still didn't fix it. Before i take it off i would like to know what is most likely wrong with it or how to fix it. It takes about a week to get parts at my dealer so the sooner i find out the better. Do you think that it just has mud in it or water? Should i just go ahead and order a new armature or brushes? the armature is 160 bucks and a new starter is 220. Should i just go ahead and buy a new starter? Is it difficult to take the starter apart? After taking it apart and cleaning it will it only last a little while? Is there anything i should look for if i take it apart? What is the easiest way to get the clutch off? I have taken it off many times but now it seems like it won't break loose. Do i need a clutch puller? Sorry about all the questions. I am getting ready to head over to the dealership today so i can hopefully get the parts by friday. I just want to make sure what i need before i head over there and buy a new starter. Also they can get aftermarket starters for the same price as oem polaris starters. Are they the same or should i stay with the polaris starter? Thankyou for all your help.

Old 06-19-2001, 03:52 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I just rebuilt my starter for @ $50. I bought all the o-rings and siliconed around them after reassembling the starter. Is the 400 starter on the bottom of the motor like the 250? I got mine out and in with out removing anything but it is tight.

Old 06-19-2001, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

Weedy, what all did you buy to rebuild the starter? What did your starter do before you rebuilt it? Was it difficult to do? Yes the starter is on the bottom of the motor. Did you have lots of mud in yours? What did you use to clean the starter? Thanks for the help.

Old 06-19-2001, 04:15 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

I bought a brush kit and two large O-rings and two small o-rings that go on the long bolts holding the starter together.

My starter just clicked and would not turn over the engine.

Is the 400 starter on the bottom of the engine like the 250?

Old 06-19-2001, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks weedy. I hope it's just my brushes in the starter. I will head to the dealership and get the parts. It will save me a lot of money if that is all that is wrong with it. Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-19-2001, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

Well I just got back from the dealership. I bought a new brush kit and all the orings to go inside the starter. They had them all in stock. It cost a whole 32 bucks for everything. So i will take it apart and try it tonight. Thanks for the help everyone.