Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Iffy Winter Riding Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be using my xplor 400 2 stroke a little bit in the winter like 2-3 times a month, but was wondering should I do anything special to it since it will only be rid 2-3 times a month? Maybe add fuel stabalizer? Any tips would be great, thanks

99xplor400
Warn 2000
Titan 589's
K&N Air
Dynoport Pipe
Primary Green Spring

Old 11-21-2001, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

I use the Polaris fuel stabalizer and never had any problems. On the other hand, I think it's more YOU who has to prepare. I suggest some hand warmers, maybe some of those ATV mitts, some feet warmers(little packets that you can get at the sporting goods store that you just put in your shoes)and definately some warm clothes(carnharts).

Old 11-21-2001, 12:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Don't forget to richen up the jetting. Try Black River Falls in the winter, a real blast!!!

Ken

Old 11-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

So still use the fuel stabalizer in bettween riding periods???

Old 11-21-2001, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't worry too much about the feul stabelizer, unless the same tank of gas is going to be in it all winter.

As for preparing yourself; install a set of hand and thumb warmers. They make all the difference in the world, and they're more comfortable than big mittens. For the rest of your body you should get some smowmobile gear (suit and boots). Carhartts tend to get wet easily, don't shed snow very well and aren't as warm to begin with. If you have a good pair of snowmobile boots (which aren't very expensive) you'll never need footwarmers, though they're still a good idea to have with you incase you ever go through ice and get wet.

Old 11-21-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Modquad, Do they keep Black River Falls groomed in the winter?? My TBoss doesn't do well in deep snow, but it LOVES icy trails !!

Old 11-21-2001, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I would also grease it more often than usual, and lube the chain. Snow is surprisingly abrasive and will polish the lube off the chain pretty fast. Also, beware if the snow melts some, then re-freezes. It can lock up the chain or driveshaft up so tight you can twist something off if you are not careful. I recommend rolling it about 8 or 10 feet by hand, to 'feel' if anything is frozen. Also, beware of ice building up around the cv joints and cutting into a boot.

Old 11-22-2001, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

Good point Farmer,
It's generally a good idea to clean off as much snow as possible at the end of every ride.
The disk brakes on my Yamaha are always freezing up in the winter, either preventing the quad from moving in the morning, or preventing me from applying the brakes. I'm not sure which is worse.

Old 11-23-2001, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Some good points made above so I won't repeat them all. I ride all winter in the Yukon down to 40 or 50 below and have never had to do anything different to my machine. It starts and runs exacly the same as it does in summer. Up here we all block the rads on our cars in winter, but I found that to be unnecessary on the ATV. I do add gas line anti-freeze once in a while.
If you're leaving it stored a long time, especially in the cold, I recommend taking the battery out once in a while and charging it on a trickle charger. If the battery goes flat it will freeze and will be toast when the ice bends the plates inside. I find the battery also doesn't charge as well on the bike when your riding, especially when running lights and hot-grips.
By-the-way, the hot-grips in the handlebar muffs work great.

Old 11-25-2001, 04:08 AM
Trailblazer

Mark down another vote for thumb & hand warmers. You also might consider investing in a set of tire chains for your wheeler. I was in Utah cat hunting a last year, we had 2 Trail Boss's & one Sportsman 500. I was totally impressed with what those Trail Boss's and the way they were going through the snow with chains on them.

As for the use of Polaris fuel stabilizer. I don't know the price difference but another one to look at is Stabil. I had great results using it.

All the points mentioned above were great. Like the warm clothes and extra maintains. One thing I use on my Carharts is a liberal coating of water repellent. It still doesn't make them as nice as my snowmobile suit. The ones I have are good for 40 below so I'm pretty warm but as mentioned they don't shed the snow very well. But sometimes while cruising through are woods I don't want to shred my suit & I wear the Carharts.

Another suggestion is to carry a shovel with you when you go riding. I was driving on a top of a snow bank and went a little to far over and sunk my wheeler. I would have had no problem going through the snow if I didn't lose my momentum. But I sunk instantly and snow was packed all through out my wheeler. There was nothing to hook my winch to so I had to clean out the wheeler so I could get going. They don't take up much rack space and you probable pretty happy having it the time you do get stuck.