Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 wins ATV of the YEar

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, they save the sport quads for the bigger positions, like ATV of the Decade (400ex), and ATV of the Century (250r)

Old 01-24-2002, 11:14 PM
Range Rover

Even though I have a 700, I think the Polaris 500 HO is the best overall quad out there. It's more than having the latest engine technology a lot of us don't care abut that. We want to know if the damn thing runs!! We care about how it rides, and how much ground clearance does it have. Obviously we care about how well the quad holds up under abuse of riding in a rough off road envoirnment. I really care about how much stuff you can carry with you, like extra gas, food and rain gear, portable air pumps, ect............can you outfit the quad with a winch? You see I do long trips on mine and like to be self sufficient when I do. I can carry all of the aforementioned and still carry some camping gear as well. The 500 is fast, it can climb almost any hill. It has engine braking and 4 wheel drive along with independant rear suspension. All of the things you will need in the off road envoirnment. You can ride the 500 all day and it wont kill your back or arms. You can ride it in the sand, not as good as a sand machine, but you can do it. You can ride it in the mud, desert, mountains and to a certain degree in water. If I had my choice of picking one quad and one quad only the 500 HO would be it..........Yes I own a 700 and it's an improvement over the 500 but the 700 is not for everyone but I believe the 500 is........

Old 01-24-2002, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I'll just restate what I said before. For the last 10 years, the high performance riders have been begging and pleading for factory support and a high performance quad that wasn't tuned down for slow trail riding. Cannondale came out with a 432cc engine that will more than hang with a 660. The 660 has to try to hang with the 432. It has fuel injection (a production quad first), aluminum frame (also a production quad first), the fastest production quad, completely race ready in 2 catagories (GNC/GNCC- a production quad first), factory sponsorship, aftermarket quality parts that come on it stock, cassette type trans., reversed cylinder head (exhaust out the back and air in the front for those of you that don't know), and customer service and a company that will stand behind their product 100%. Out of everything I have listed, 6 of them are <u>production quad firsts.</u> I think that the Cannondale would be the perfect quad to earn &quot;ATV of the Year.&quot; Even if there hasn't been any high performance quads earn that title, they might as well give it to Cannondale since it has already done so many ground breaking things for the ATV world.

Name: Douwe

P.S. I'm not just saying this becaus I own one. I felt this way before I even before I was looking into buying the Cannondale.

Old 01-24-2002, 11:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so far! I really appreciate your input! Those of you mentioning the Cannondale are pretty much right, while the Cannondale's are very inovative, they lack the vote of final confidence that proven reliability brings. Also, sport ATVs in total only amount for about 18% of the total ATV s sold each year. That of course has to be weighted at least somewhat when compared to the popularity of sport/utlity machines. Although I'm constantly amazed at how many 4x4 riders use speed and handling as the ultimate measurement of their machine!

Vegasdude - I'm impressed with your take on the HO. My own experiences show it a far better ATV than the 700 as well!

Cartman - While your opinions may be what matters most to you, opinions are neither fact nor neccessarily correct! Osama Bin Ladin's opinion of us is that we are the &quot;Great White Satin&quot;. While that is his opinion, it is obviously far from the truth! Your opinion matters to me or I would not have asked for it. The great thing about ATVs are that now-a-days, there are so many great machines out there that each one of us can find the one that closest matches what we desire. And because a Sportsman 500 doesn't handle the whoops like a 400EX doesn't make it the wrong machine for the guy who doesn't ever want to even know what whoops are! Conversely, the top speed and acceleration of a Prairie may be of no concern to the guy towing his ice-house out on the lake!

Thanks all for the input! I look forward to more response!

DE

Old 01-25-2002, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

When was the Cannondale first released??? 2001 or 2002

Old 01-25-2002, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Personally, I'm really torn betwoon the Prarie 650 and the C-dales. As mentioned earlyer the aluminum frame &amp; EFI are just the kind of advancments that atv industry has been needing. Also, the fact that in stock trim the mid sized C-dales are faster than both the Raptor and the DS make it a winner, in my book. Past reliability issues aside, these are very trick machines.

On the other hand, Kawi's vision in putting a V-twin in a quad may turn out to be inovation that changed ATV's forever. Although the Prarie seems to be in a pretty mild state of tune, it has more potential, from a design standpoint, than just about any single imagineable. V-twins are very narrow, a must for handling, with twice as many valves as a single. Just take a look at what Ducatti has been doing with high performance V-twins and you'll see what I'm talking about. What would it be like to have a 10 valve DOHC EFIed aluminum framed quad to roost around the local track, or forest trail? We could see production atv's with 80 hp out of the box. The Prarie could be the first nail in the coffin for high performance singles, just like theYZ400 was for two strokes.

Either choice would make alot more sence than the SP700, which has all the personality of a Chevy Astro Van.

Old 01-25-2002, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with people saying that the c-dales have unproven reliability, but I have heard some people say that the c-dales are UNRELIABLE. So far the only mechanical problems were the flywheels that weren't properly heat treated (which was fixed) the other problems have been ball joint and other handling problems (which have been fixed). High performance quads also need a lot of maintanence. Due to the fact that Cannondale has such a high tech engine, people may have problems because they think they can give it hell and then not worry about maintaining. If you want to &quot;kill&quot; a quad, that is the way to do it. I know none of you have said that but other people that read these posts shouldn't mistake unproven reliability with unreliable. One more thing. You said &quot;Please, do me a favor, tell me which ATV you think is the
best and why. Don't tell me &quot;it rocks&quot;, or &quot;its the best&quot;, but give me features that
set it apart from the competition; such as engine tecnology, braking performace,
comfort, ability to work or sport ride.&quot; So I think the C-dale fits that catagory just fine. Yes, most people buy utilities for work, trails, and mud, but you asked for a quad that has features that set it apart from everything else, not the best selling. Most people buy those quads to work on and because they are inexpensive, that doesn't make it the most innovative, high tech quad. If I'm wrong, please explain a little more what makes a certain atv the &quot;ATV of the Year.&quot; Thanks

Old 01-25-2002, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

Doug---I think the Kawasaki Prairie 650 should be &quot;ATV Of The Year&quot; in the Sport/Utility category (I think sport quads should have their own contest) for these reasons:
It is the first quad to use a V-twin engine---plus it was made just for this quad and they did a great job---it is very smooth and powerful.
It is the first utility quad to use dual piston calipers on the front discs.
It has the first manually locking front differential and the only locker that can be applied at any speed or in any gear and be &quot;feathered&quot; if necessary for steering ease.
It has the first fully enclosed &quot;wet brake&quot; in the rear swingarm.
It is the first 4X4 to use an aluminum swingarm.
It has the first gas tank to be moved from the conventional spot at the front of the seat to under the rear fender to lower the center of gravity and first one to use a fuel pump (out of necessity).
It is the only 4x4 with adjustable footpegs.
It is the first automatic to use an electric servo to apply &quot;engine braking&quot; and get away from overbraking at higher speeds, since it only works at very slow speeds when the belt is about to &quot;freewheel&quot;.
It is the only belt drive automatic that doesn't have any lag when you hit the throttle---thats why it wins so many drags.
It is the first quad to use multi-reflector 45 watt headlights---very bright.
Plus they made a very strong frame and still kept the weight under 608 pounds. Some people have said that the plastic is too thin for weight savings, but it has stood up well so far. Others have said that it should have had independant suspension, but as a Sport/Utility the solid axle is more of an advantage in most situations. Some say that without as much ground clearance it can't go where the independant suspended quads can. Most owners will strongly disagree as they haven't had that problem---especially when carrying heavy loads. There is no doubt that it doesn't ride as softly as a Sportsman or Grizzly, but it is probably the best riding solid axle machine made, which is still a very nice ride. Kawasaki never went &quot;cheap&quot; on the rear shock. The ride doesn't beat you up.
Negatives---They stuck with the light Dunlop tires to keep the weight down, but I don't think they are tough enough to handle rocky trails. The trailer hitch is an option in the States (which is dumb on a 4x4) again for weight reasons, but at least in Canada the hitch comes with the machine and is not an added cost---don't know why it is down there.
I would pick the Yamaha Grizzly as the next most innovative Sport/Utility quad this year. It could win on looks and has some nice features.
The Sportsman 700 has a new inline twin engine with lots of power, and I like the new color scheme, but I am very surprised that they left off a manual starter on a 4X4. It does come with the best stock tires I've seen on any 4X4 as they didn't have to make a weight limit.
Overall though, since no one will agree on which quad is the best, I think that &quot;ATV Of The Year&quot; should go to the quad with the most innovations for the year, and that, head and shoulders over any other ATV in this category, love it or hate it, is the Prairie 650.

Old 01-25-2002, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Well,

I've been reading through the replies here and see that no one has noticed that ATV magazine deals mostly with the Utility machines, not sport machines. That is why they have a seperate magazine for sport riders called ATV Sport. Perhaps that's why the Cannondale hasn't been picked as ATV of the year in ATV magazine and the Sportsman 700 was.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Doug,

Ok, so my opinion matters to you. I gave you my opinion than you compared what I said to Usama Bin Ladin having an opinion of us, what's that all about......you trying to say something?? You also say that opinions are neither fact nor necissarly true......That is exacly what I said. I said that &quot;I base my opinions of facts that i have read, heard, or experianced.&quot; I never said thay my opinions were fact. I also have opinions about ATVTelevison......but I'll keep them to myself. I don't want blasted over my &quot;opinions&quot; on the only ATV television show on cable. I'll just say that i think you could improve on it. Sorry I came across so aggressive in my previous post. I don't mix words very well. Especially when I am giving MY opinion.
I still believe the Prarie 650 is the suprior quad on the market right now. Honda, Polaris, Yamaha, no body makes a quad that will outperform the prarie.
I also still think the Cannondale should get the nod for ATV of the Year. So what the the sport quad market is only 18% of total sales. if total sales was the main factor in ATV of the Year then my Rancher would be the king of the hill. BUT it is not the best quad on the market. The Cannondale is leading the way in innovations. A 440cc motor that hangs with the 660's and 350 2 stroke. Factory support that it none existant in any other atv company, a facotry sponcered race team, all the industry firsts that the other posters have mentioned. Reliabilty is lacking but the company is working extremely hard on this issue.

That's my story and i'm stickin to it

Quick Reply: 700 wins ATV of the YEar