Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why buy American

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy American

Originally posted by: BryceGTX
I worked for a Fortune 100 company for 6 years and was promoted 4 times.

Why do you keep telling me about you. It really contributes nothing to the discussion. It does not make you more believeable nor knowledgeable. You know I will just use it in a post later on down the line. So lets see, you started as Janitor, got promoted to head janitor. Then you got promoted to cleaning the Executives urinals. Then you got promoted to head executive unrinal cleaner. There.. I just saved myself the hassle of razing you futher down the line. Now we can get back to the discussion at hand.

I just really have a problem with hipocrits. You, like everyone have plenty of products in your home that are made overseas including many of the parts in the computer you are using now.

I begin early on in the posting on this thread that we have no choice but to buy off-shore often times. Please look back at that post. However, you turned this thread into a back and forth bantering on specific examples that required supportive arguments. You have presented lean techniques, your personal buying habits, your business, economics basics, Camry vs Taurus, some document that only confirms what we are saying. And then you complain that just because I present a formitable argument I am a hypocrit. I guess you can just add that to the long list of names we American buyers have been called on this thread. Another great argument by 05PRED500.
That's Head Janitorial Technician to you.

It is rare if not non existant that these types of threads (especially this long) stay on the original topic. Besides, it takes 2 to argue. You certainly don't have to participate. I guess I tend to think that life experience helps to determine ones way of thinking. Yea, I probably gave too much information. The cynic in everyone fosters an automatic distrust of people, especially on the internet. At the same time I have no reason to lie and nor do you. I have no problem with people attacking my opinions, posts, choices, or whatever. I do have a problem with people attacking my integrity when I give no reason to. Some things just set me off. But, you are certainly entitled to do what ever.

I buy American a lot. But, It isn't wrong, immoral, or stupid for someone to buy what they see as the best value. The hipocrit comment was not meant for the "American buyers", it was directed to you only. So, I am sorry to call you a hipocrit. At the same time, you have not only implied but flat out said that I am responsible for my part of "killing" the economy. You have also implied that people in my camp are unpatriotic. The most hurtfull thing someone said was that I was liberal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

I need to utilize my downtime and boredom for something more positive so I am going to attempt to quit posting here.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Which is it? First the Camry is less expensive, now the options are overpriced. Like I said, when you option the cars equally, the Camry is more expensive. It should be since you get more car with a better warranty. Anyway, you still only read a portion of the post. Add up the options and the Taurus is less.

Hmm.. seems to me I pretty much proved the Taurus is more expensive by $2500. However, when you go with the more expensive V6 Camry, you are no longer in the Taurus class.

You proved my point about underpower in domestics. You said yourself that the Taurus doesn't have an engine to compete against the Toyota 6. As far as driving the Taurus, is that all ya got? I haven't driven it? That's it? Pa-lease...My father in law has 2, a 2004 and a 1991. I didn't say a word about the Taurus engine not being reliable. The 1991 Taurus has 200k+ miles on it. It's a rust bucket, but it still runs. I also worked for a dealer that owned a Ford and Toyota store. So, yes, I have driven hundreds of each vehicle.

Good, then you know your post was bogus!!

Your statement about lower HP displacement engines lasting longer is no more true (in newer engines) than the myth that domestics still have quality issues. It is very common knowledge that Toyota's 2.2L and 2.4L motors are among the best built longest lasting motors around. But, it is still pretty bad to not get more power from a 3.0L motor.

I don't think you can say anything about these engines until they are 10-15 years old. However, I believe that any engine can be made to last many years and hundreds of thousands of miles. However, a lower HP per displacement engine will invariably be a more durable engine and I think few people would argue that.

Besides being old and married with kids, my wife broke her nose on the dock on the 4th and had surgery yesterday. What's your excuse for being home on a Friday night arguing with me of all things

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I hope she is doing well. My prayers go out to her. We will be going out on the boat this weekend, anchor out, ride the jetskis. But it has been storming today, need to wait for the weather to calm.

Old 07-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

That's Head Janitorial Technician to you.

LOL!!

I need to utilize my downtime and boredom for something more positive so I am going to attempt to quit posting here.

Me also. LOL, it will be interesting to see how long we last!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Last one...Thank you for the sentiment. As a fellow boater, you already know this, but be careful out there.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

You guys are killing me. Please don't go away! This thread, you guys, are so real it has me in stitches. Yes Pred., Bryce has taken some liberty here with casting a few pot shots at your expense. I hope you don't mind me laughing at some of them. Like I said before, you should here my friends and I argue. I like your cheap shot at Bryce for being home on a Friday night - that's a good one Pred! He had that coming.

I love it here on a Friday night. Actually just got back from dinner at a sports bar with the other lonely hearts. Tomorrow I go camping at another blues festival with friends. I hope your wife is resting comfortably. I had a friend go down like a light pole on a dock last year too. Stepped out of boat up onto dock, toe cought dock, man went down, man broke nose.

Ok, I'll tell you what I do. I am a Bargaining Unit member of the United Steel Workers Union. I work in the nuclear field and have so for 21 years. I started out low on the pole, and with a little luck, I've climbed up some since then. I mentioned how I was raised on good quality American goods Dad and Mom bought. I mentioned I was in the Army.

I have friends with the same background I have. They love 'H' car quality. They love the Camry. Close call, but they will take them like for like over GM or Ford. Trucks and SUV's, it's all Ford, GM, or Dodge for them. MOST EVERYTHING ELSE, when they see MADE IN THE USA on it, they show it. When it says MADE IN CHINA/MADE IN JAPAN, and they can't hide it, they show it with disdain. When I see MADE IN THE USA I feel pride, the same pride they feel. WOW, against all odds we still made this very good product. Against minimum wage, family wage, benefits, unions, lawyers, the Govt., fat cats, fat workers, unfair trade, overseas sweat shops....we still made this very good product. That's why I buy American. I know you both feel it too.

Know get back here and argue!

Old 07-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Oh yeah, I must admit that my friends I mention that will take The Honda and Camry over GM and Ford don't walk their talk. They drive a Honda, Grand Am, and a Cadilac. Very Provocative. We humans are strange that way.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

Your distaste for Polaris is showing through in your trashing of Polaris's Military contract.
First, quit blowing smoke again. I think the MV is cool for what it is and would have taken one over the Mules we had. There's really no comparison, so if I was looking for something like this, I'd have no choice. However, I don't see one bad thing I wrote about Polaris in this thread. My personal choice of ATV does have something to do with this thread, but my opinion of Polaris does not and has not come into this conversation - so get that straight. Just questioned the cost of the contract in my pointing out extra money paid to Polaris to develop their ATV into something it isn't, which is my right. If we didn't check these things, more Boeing air-tanker deals would continue to fleece the taxpayer. Looks like this measly $10M is below the radar. Anyway, another inflamatory statement from hardhead meant to influence the majority of people glancing over this thread.

You have bashed every US company
And you have bashed the rest of the world, and every other ATV brand with your blind belief and matter-of-fact (or fiction) statements that American products are always best. Nevermind your myth that buying American always employs the guy next store.

Every single country subsidizes domestic companies. So whats the problem?
Well part of the Buy American argument was the subsidies foreign companies get. Well the US does it too.

Boeing spends 4.4% of sales on R&D. The owners of Airbus spend 6.6% of sales on R&D. I am sure everyone wants to spend more, but there are often realities that we can't ignore. To blindly suggest that we can spend as much as we want on R&D ignores these realities. Seems to me, the military aerospace industry was hit hard in the 90s and is now rebounding due to Bush policies. Similarly, the Commercial airline industry was hit hard due to 911 and is now starting to rebound. Both industries are core competences of Boeing and it is clear they were taking a toll. However, the fact that R&D for Boeing is on the rise is encouraging. It is too easy to discount a company by saying they are not spending enough on new products or R&D without considering realities.
Never said they weren't spending enough. Never read such nonsense that had nothing to do with the point being made. Wait! theres 16 pages of this mumbo jumbo. You'd sound pretty smart if this was fact and not fiction.

Augusta Westland is doing OK now too as Bush ordered a new helicopter fleet, designed and partially built overseas, that won't even be delivered until he's out of office! Doesn't that just make your blood boil? Off the subject a lot, how about their secret energy policy, good time to be a Texas oilman, hmmmm? Bush's policies, he did a great job with the US steel industry too. But you wouldn't be concerned with that, right? It isn't a car, steel workers aren't your neighbors and family.

And US global dominance in aerospace is bad for what reason?
You just want to rule the world, don't you

I would suggest you go back to your Honda forum where you might be more appreciated.
Now you are trying to limit my free speech (like my freedom to choose a non-American product if you had the chance).

When I see MADE IN THE USA I feel pride
Lukester, some see pride as arrogance, conceit, or bravado.

Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

propnut,

"Lukester, some see pride as arrogance, conceit, or bravado."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
You are way off to one side here nut - very, very off.

And defend your freedom of speech, but don't defend America (American manufacturing interests no less)?

At least Pred and Bryce are constructive! Have a nice weekend all.

Old 07-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Why buy American

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. I simply could not resist posting here.

I've enjoyed driving my rock solid 2001 Ford Taurus that I have now put over 80,000 miles on. It handles better, has more room and is more reliable than the oil sludging Camry I compared it to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Plus, I have the satisfaction of knowing that my Ford Taurus is 75+% American parts sourced. The engine was build in Lima, Ohio and the steel stamped in Cleveland and the car assembled in Atlanta, Georgia. Plus, the profits created when I purchased it remained here, the U.S. and the R & D and marketing people working in Detroit also benefitted from it. I see no advantage to buying a Camry... Oh, and did I mention that Tauruses never go for anywhere near list price, so the Taurus is always a better value than Camry.

As for why I bought a Polaris... Well, they have an excellent reputation for building a capable and competent ATV and:

The Corporate Headquarters are located in Medina, Minnesota USA.

Roseau, Minnesota is the original birthplace of Polaris, and currently houses design and manufacturing of Polaris Snowmobiles, ATV’s and the Polaris RANGER.

Osceola, Wisconsin is where many Polaris parts are manufactured and also home to the Victory Motorcycle Engineering Department.

Spirit Lake, Iowa is home to the manufacturing of ATV’s, RANGER, and Victory Motorcycles.
Yes, it has foreign parts (as does almost everything), but I know that the profits remain here and that my fellow U.S. citizens were paid to make it. This isn't rocket science. No matter what, buying "American" is always better for the American Economy.

Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Why buy American

And defend your freedom of speech, but don't defend America (American manufacturing interests no less)?
sorry Lukester, but defending my right to free speech has NOTHING to do with defending a private, for profit, American manufacturer - which is what you guys are doing. I never knocked America, never would.

I refuse to back a manufacturer simply because the are based in America. I refuse to be so arrogant to think that just because it is American made it is better than everything else.

You are way off to one side here nut - very, very off.
Never said I knew all the answers. But some here do think they have all the answers, and they all fit on one tiny bumper-sticker.

Quick Reply: Why buy American